Sterilizing bottles

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by GenandThadsMom, Sep 30, 2008.

1. GenandThadsMom

GenandThadsMom Well-Known Member

I ususally sterilize all my bottles and nipples every Saturday, but my grandmother was visiting and she was horrified I don't do it everyday. Should I be???

2. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

We sterilize daily, because it is built into our bottle washing routine, and isn't much trouble (microwave sterilizer). Though if we had to do it the old fashioned boiling water way it would have gone to the wayside long ago.

3. Fletchie

Fletchie Well-Known Member

We do soap and water, only sterilizing occasionally.

4. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

lol we did it when we bought them. thats it. theyre cleaned in the dishwasher, i figure that gets them pretty clean

5. Brown Eyed Gurl

Brown Eyed Gurl Well-Known Member

I use the antibactierial soap and water and streilize occasionally in the microwave in those medela bags

6. rabresch72

rabresch72 Well-Known Member

I do soap and water daily and boil them once a week. Thursday is sterilization day! God, I need a life!

7. april mcdaniel

april mcdaniel Well-Known Member

I use the medela sterilization bags 4 the microwave every day

8. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

I put them in the dishwasher, which has a sterilization option that I always turn on. Does that count? Other than that, I don't.

9. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

I did it for the first few weeks with the boys, and, after my ped said that handwashing with warm soapy water was just as good, we went that route. I did sterilize in the microwave if something was new for the first time but that was it.

10. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

We sterilized the bottles before the first use. Since then, I just soak them in hot soapy water and then wash each piece by hand. My MIL is a nurse and she said that you only have to sterilize them the first time. As long as you clean and dry them well that it will be fine. We've had no problems thus far.

11. two4one2008

two4one2008 Well-Known Member

We just run them through the dishwasher and use the sani-rinse option. If not using diswasher, just hot soapy water - haven't had an issues this far. :ibiggrin:

12. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I sterilized them all the time until they dropped enough feedings so that I could run them through the dishwasher without being short on bottles. We had to sterilize for at least the first 3 months due to them being premature per our Ped.

13. San12

San12 Well-Known Member

I sterilized daily (drove me nuts) until my pedi said I didn't have to anymore. Now I wash them by hand in really hot water or in the dishwasher. That was their 4 month appointment.

14. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

No Sterilization here...just hand wash in hot soapy water. Per PEDI!

15. jasonsmommy

jasonsmommy Well-Known Member

We do them by hand in hot soapy water, and occasionaly in the dishwasher when we are pressed for time.

16. mom2idgirls

mom2idgirls Member

Never have!

17. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Never did either. We wash them in the dishwasher though.

18. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Never did either. I just wash them with hot water and soap.

19. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

If I ever have a child again...THERE WILL BE NO STERILIZING!!! What a PITA that whole thing was. My husband insisted that we had to do it so I told him, "fine! you want it done, then YOU do it." and he did until...I asked the ped at their 2 month appt. how long do we have to sterilize the bottles for and he said. "never." he said it wasn't necessary and that hot soapy water was sufficient for cleaning the bottles. I about died and dh was soooooooooo happy to hear that because he was so sick of doing it (we were doing them daily). The ped said that if we were still so worried about it then maybe just sterilize the bottles the first time it comes out of the package but he insisted that even that is not "necessary."

20. j3s303

j3s303 Well-Known Member

we did it everyday in a microwave sterilizer till they where 6 months and then we quit