Sterilizing bottles

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by RondaJo, May 4, 2007.

1. RondaJo

RondaJo Well-Known Member

[SIZE=12pt]I was just wondering how often everyone sterilizes their bottles? And how much of the bottle do you sterilize? Thanks.[/SIZE]

2. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

We sterilized all of their bottles and their parts until 2 weeks ago (my twins turn 1 year next week). Now they use their straw cups and bottles with the drop in liners (which are presterilized). We were told that there is no "set" time to stop sterilizing, but that most people discontinue around 3-4 months.

3. Orestia

Orestia Well-Known Member

I think we stopped at around 3-4 months. I remember feeding them one day, dropping the bottle on the carpet and thinking "oh crap!" She yelled, I stuck it back in her mouth, she lived. After that I relaxed from germ patrol. I do make sure that I wash the sink out with bleach and rinse it well before I wash the bottles, and I change my bottle brush about once every other week.

4. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

:FIFblush: We stopped at about a month (they were only getting about one bottle a day at that time though) I'm still using the original bottle brush - I guess I'll be getting a new one tomorrow!

5. noahandjacobsmom

noahandjacobsmom Well-Known Member

I still sterilize the bottle after they are washed in our little sterilizer machine. I do the bottles, nipples and even their spoons. I think it is more out of habit at this point than anything else. I am not a germaphobe but, I guess I will probably stop in the next month or so. I do not even wash the bottle in the sink. I have a large bowl that sits in the sink that I wash all their stuff in before I sterilize it. Crazy I know.

6. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I sterilized the first round of bottles before we ever used them, and never did it after that. I just washed them in the dishwasher.

7. 2scoops

2scoops Well-Known Member

I sterlized all the parts, except for the cap (I have Dr. Browns), after I washed them by hand every time! Quinn and Bella are now 9.5mo. and I don't sterilize anymore since they are past the germy stage and are turning into getting into everything - I think their immune systems are good now. It's a pain just washing the Dr. Browns plus sterilizing them, so I'm glad I only have to do one. I tried the dishwasher so I woulnd't have to wash by hand, but mine leaves spots and some soap ressidue (our house used to be a vacation home, so the dishwasher sucks!) I'm a fast washer, plush I wash in very very hot water so they pretty much get sterilized that way.

8. Megos99

Megos99 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(sharongl @ May 5 2007, 07:29 AM) [snapback]244529[/snapback]
    I sterilized the first round of bottles before we ever used them, and never did it after that. I just washed them in the dishwasher.

Same here!!

9. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

QUOTE(sharongl @ May 5 2007, 06:29 AM) [snapback]244529[/snapback]

Ditto!

10. becky5

becky5 Guest

I sterilized them before the very first use, and since then have washed them in hot soapy water, rinsing them well of course!!

11. HT

HT Well-Known Member

Me too! I only steralized them once after I bought them for my oldest DD and the twins and use the dishwasher for regular washings.

12. gatormommy

gatormommy Well-Known Member

I think out of habit, I still sterilize all the bottles and nipples after each use. First I wash with hot water and bottle brush, then sterilize. I need to stop this, but I guess it's so routine for me now!! :unknw:

13. Bebolini

Bebolini Member

I still sterilize the bottle after they are washed in our little sterilizer machine. I do the bottles, nipples and even their spoons. I think it is more out of habit at this point than anything else. I am not a germaphobe but, I guess I will probably stop in the next month or so. I do not even wash the bottle in the sink. I have a large bowl that sits in the sink that I wash all their stuff in before I sterilize it. Crazy I know.

This is me, exactly. I was just wondering last week should I proceed doing it. I was sort of ashamed asking , because all my friends don’t do that at all. I still continue doing it though. I think till they are year or so…. OMG that really sounds crazy… :pardon:

14. minnieinafrica

minnieinafrica Well-Known Member

QUOTE(gatormommy @ May 5 2007, 06:59 PM) [snapback]244837[/snapback]
    I think out of habit, I still sterilize all the bottles and nipples after each use. First I wash with hot water and bottle brush, then sterilize. I need to stop this, but I guess it's so routine for me now!! :unknw:

I do the same. I have a sterilizer machine. I wouldn't use it if I had a dishwasher!

15. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

boiled the nipples before the first use and then never did afterward - I use silicone nipples and it tells you not to...also I don't have a dishwasher so I wash by hand...and we use drop ins so I don't have to worry about the bottles getting smelly or anything...

16. first_time_mommy_2_be_twins

first_time_mommy_2_be_twins Well-Known Member

I sterilized the bottles and nipples the first time we used them and for the first day or two home from the hospital but havent since then :FIFblush: .

Now at this point they lick the floor, dog, eachother and everything they get their hands on so I dont see the point. I just I soak them in VERY hot soapy water, Scrub with the bottle brush and rinse them very well and my babies are very healthy.

17. kajulie

kajulie Well-Known Member

I steralized all parts after each use until about a month ago. We gave it up, and the girls are fine. I've read in many places that steralizing (except before the first use) is totally unnecceary unless you have a poor water supply or well water. Things should always be steralized before the first use.

18. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

We stopped sterilizing after 2 months...THANK GOD!!!! It was the most mundane part of our daily routine. I hated doing it and since my dh insisted that it was necessary, I made HIM do it. I finally asked the ped how long we need to keep sterilizing the bottles for and his reply was, "never." He said it wasn't really necessary. That hot water and soap were just fine. So we started putting all the bottles in our dishwasher (with no other dishes) and ran it on the glass cycle. Even dh was relieved at that point because he was darn sick of sterilizing them too!! Now, since they go through only 2-3 bottles each per day, we wash them with our regular dish loads. We have never had a problem. The ped did say that if we feel more comfortable that we could sterilize them just before first time use but he said even that is not really necessary.