sterilizing bottles?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by nicinthebu, Apr 16, 2009.

1. nicinthebu

nicinthebu Well-Known Member

At what age did you stop using a steralizer for the bottles??

Thanks!

2. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

I actually used the sterilizer up until they were off bottles (12 months), but no where near religiously. As newborns, I thought it was very important, but with everything else being so time consuming, the last thing you think about is sterilizing bottles! If you have a dishwasher, running them through there on a regular cycle will kill germs just as well or you can just buy a bottle brush and scrub them out in hot soapy water.

3. kittenkills

kittenkills Well-Known Member

my sterilizer is gathering dust... we sterilzed first use only, but after that we just washed em out with hot soapy water.

4. abrinka

abrinka Well-Known Member

My twins are almost 9 months and I sterilize bottles daily and planning to do so untill they off bottles.

5. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I boiled the nipples before first use only (per package directions on the playtex nipples)...we used drop ins so there was no need to sterilize...just washed the bottles and rings and nipples in hot soapy water...

6. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

Our tap water is good enough for washing the bottles in so we didn't sterilize with every use. Our hospital staff told us that sterilization wasn't necessary, and I also read that in several reputable sources so we didn't practice sterilization much. I did boil everything before the first use and for the first 3 months I boiled everything about 2x/month. Now, and in the first few months between boilings, we just washed everything in hot water using phosphate-free dish soap.

7. jewels707

jewels707 Well-Known Member

Boiled for 2min. prior to first use and now just wash with hot soapy water and a bottle brush. The top shelf of the dishwasher is also ok after the first sterilizing. This is what they told me to do in the NICU.

8. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

sterilized everything before first use, then routinely wash in the dishwasher on the "sanitize" cycle. occasionally hand wash in hot soapy water. we've never been super strict about sterilization. cleanliness is necessary. putting your children in bubbles is not.

9. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

4 months

10. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

I sterilized before the first use and then I have handwashed them in Sunlight ever since. Never had any problems.

11. KKing

KKing Well-Known Member

Just in case you want to continue, munchkin makes a sterilizing bag that goes in the microwave. They are great!! There are 5 in a box and can be used 20 times each. I use the dishwasher, however if i only have to clean up a few bottles I use them....... works great!!

12. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I sterilized in hot water before first use, I also use drop ins so no need to sterilize parts afterwards, just wash and use :)

13. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Lizzybo @ Apr 16 2009, 06:03 PM) [snapback]1276639[/snapback]
    Our tap water is good enough for washing the bottles in so we didn't sterilize with every use. Our hospital staff told us that sterilization wasn't necessary, and I also read that in several reputable sources so we didn't practice sterilization much. I did boil everything before the first use and for the first 3 months I boiled everything about 2x/month. Now, and in the first few months between boilings, we just washed everything in hot water using phosphate-free dish soap.

I agree, the soap ended up being more important in the long run. I saw that after a couple of months my nipples were getting foggy. I changed to a "cleaner" dish soap and it's been fine. I also use a sterilizer every few weeks just because I bought it and want to get some use out of it :)

14. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

We use Dr. Browns and I (apparently) go over-board. I wash all the parts with the appropriate brush (Dr. B's, nipple and bottle) in hot soapy water then I throw all the parts (nipples, screw on and insides) in the sanitizer every time they're used. The bottles just get the hot soapy water and occasionally the dishwasher if it's ready to be run.

15. Lol, well my dear, we still wash bottles in soap n water then use the microwave sterilizer. But you also know I am a germ-a-phob.

Faith

p.s. give hugs to babies from their aunt!

16. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I never sterilized a single a bottle. Just washed them and used them.

17. nicinthebu

nicinthebu Well-Known Member

Thamks for all the responses! Ped said to do so till they are 3 mo. I will re-evaluate at 3 mo.

18. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(babymOmmax2 @ Apr 16 2009, 09:19 PM) [snapback]1276141[/snapback]
    I actually used the sterilizer up until they were off bottles (12 months), but no where near religiously. As newborns, I thought it was very important, but with everything else being so time consuming, the last thing you think about is sterilizing bottles! If you have a dishwasher, running them through there on a regular cycle will kill germs just as well or you can just buy a bottle brush and scrub them out in hot soapy water.

Same here. I stopped sterilising everything about a month ago. Mine were picking stuff off the floor and putting it back in their mouths and I decided enough was enough!