Starting tomorrow!

Discussion in 'General' started by Stacy A., Aug 16, 2009.

1. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

I'm very excited! We are using Letter of the Week and this week is an alphabet intro. They actually already recognize all their letters and know the sounds, but we are using it for organization and to introduce reading skills. I really want everything to go well since this how we do this year may really impact DH's decision about whether we can continue for K. But, I know things won't be perfect and I'm ready to "roll with the punches."

2. r-twins

r-twins Well-Known Member

We used Letter of the Week for awhile doing our home preschool too. For us, they lost interest after a couple of months. It was just a little too structured for my 3 year olds. Everyone is different, but I made the mistake of getting discouraged when they lost interest. Then I reminded myself that I need to listen to my kids to find out how to teach them. We went in a different direction and everyone was happy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't ever get discouraged enough to quit. If something doesn't work, try something else. I figured our two years of preschool were the testing ground to find out how I need to teach the kids. Frankly, I'm going to do that again this year with our "kindergarten". I'm learning right along with them! LOL

Good luck, looking forward to hearing how it's going. :)

ps- Have you watched Leap Frog Letter Factory and Word Factory? They're great!

3. mel&3

mel&3 Well-Known Member

Good Luck! We're starting our Horizons curricula in a couple weeks (waiting for it to arrive in the mail), and I'm really excited. I may add some suggestinons from Letter of the Week, though, because I've heard the reading/phonics portion of my curricula is a little lacking.

4. Stacy A.

Thanks! I am definitely going in with a willingness to change. Like I said, they know most of the letter stuff, but by organizing things by letter we can concentrate on writing (they need help) and other subjects, just focusing on a letter at a time. Plus, it is free! But, if it doesn't work, then I'll look for something else or develop my own curriculum.

We have both the Letter Factory and Word Factory and the kids love them! Honestly, that is a big reason they know there letter sounds. We also sing the sound song in the car and play the "letter game" (one kid gives a sound and the other guesses what letter makes the sound or they guess which letter a word starts with).

5. mel&3

mel&3 Well-Known Member

What is the sound song? Could you fill me in?

6. r-twins

How great! I wish I had known about letter factory before I used Letter of the Week. I think it would have helps alot.

7. Stacy A.

The song they sing in Letter Factory. "A says a (insert sound here), A says a. Every letter makes a sound. A says a." You do this for each letter. It is about half-way through this trailer for the movie.

8. r-twins

We know that song well! It's to the tune of Farmer In The Dell.

9. mel&3

mel&3 Well-Known Member

Oh, I know that one... we have it with the little magnets on our fridge. I thought it was another sound song, and I was kinda excited to expand our collection. It is a very useful song, though.

10. Stacy A.

11. r-twins

Cute! Looks like they were enjoying it. Do you love it? The more I work with my kids the more I LOVE it! :) Thanks for sharing the pics.

12. Stacy A.

I do. I am excited watching them learn and really enjoy themselves. I can't wait until they start reading!