starting solids tomorrow

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by haleystar, Jan 4, 2010.

1. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

the GI called this afternoon to check on the status of the boys and to see how they were eating. i told her i wanted to wait on any further testing since they are still gaining weight. i asked her if i could start solids and she gave me the go ahead....FINALLY YAY! soo tomorrow after their 11am feed w/the bottle we are going to try some peas...woopie, let's see how much they wear vs. how much they eat. LOL.

she said to give them solids after their lunch and try new foods (veggies) every 3 days to make sure there are no allergies. then at 6 months (which is a few weeks away) we'll go twice a day with fruits in the am and veggies in the pm after their 4pm bottle. she said to wait on meats until 8-9 months...is that normal?

anyhoo, i'm excited...the boys adjusted age is 4 months so we are on target and they are showing all of the signs of wanting solids and they've more then tripled their birth weight.

i'm so excited!

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Good luck!

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It is normal to wait on meats. We did the meats last, and that wasn't until 9 months. Mine never ate the baby food meat unless it was mixed with something else that they liked. Good luck!

4. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

Have fun! :) And yep, my pedi also said 8-9 months for meats.

5. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

Yay!! Good luck! I started oatmeal with bananas this weekend (they have had oatmeal in bottles for thickening for a few weeks now) and DS LOVED it. DD was iffy at first and yes they wear more on their bibs and their face but have your camera ready, they are SO freakin cute :)

6. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Just remember that it takes time for them to "get it". Don't stress if they are not eating them well. My boys didn't start solids until 6 months and we did a new food once a week. Our Dr. was taking things slow since they were preemies. Always remember that formula is still more important to their diet than the solids.

7. haleystar

we just got done with their solids experiment...i only spent about 30 minutes working on them to eat it. they didn't take much of their bottles (their bellies have been super full from swallowing all of their saliva lately from teething) so i set up the highchairs and got everything ready. they each wore their "give peas a chance" green bibs and away we went...river got the hang of it pretty quick, lots dripped down his chin but he was eating it and then he barfed up formula and peas all over his bib and table so i put a big burp clothe on him that covered him up gave him a few minutes and started again...he loved it. all smiles. alex on the other hand, made funny faces and didn't want to open his mouth. he also barfed up formula and peas but we tried again. he was happiest when the experiment was over...lol, river liked them. almost half the jar is empty...we'll try again tomorrow. next bottle is at 3pm ish.

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You might want to wait a little bit longer next time, say an hour or hour and a half after their bottle. Doing it immediately after they finish a bottle, they will be very full and more likely to puke it back up. If you wait an hour, they won't be as full, but it also won't interfere with their next bottle :)

9. haleystar

i did it right after because that's what GI recommended. i'm going to try and wait about 15minutes after their bottles tomorrow and see what happens. it could have just been the new taste in their bellies mixing together and making them uneasy...if that's the case they'll get used to it and it will get better. i'd rather it not interfer with their following bottles since we are down to 4 a day. all and all it was a pretty good first try...not nearly as bad as i was expecting.

i wish i could show you all the pictures...they are hysterical!

these are the pics - hope the link works!

10. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

cute! Hope it goes better tomorrow :)

11. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I always waited longer after the bottle too, so they wouldn't already be so full. Good luck with tomorrow! Cute pictures!

12. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

Awww how cute! In Canada or at least in my neck of the woods they say not to introduce solids til 6 months and that includes the cereals so we are waiting although I think I will start at say 5 months so they may actually be taking them by 6 months. Those first feeds are so funny! Great pics!

13. acjb2004

acjb2004 Well-Known Member

Good Luck and have fun!