Starting rice cereal next week

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by brieh, Jan 26, 2010.

1. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

My girls turn 4 months next week and my Pedi said to go ahead with the rice cereal anytime between 4-6 months. My one daughter I'm sure is ready, the other, I think we will wait longer. She's a little behind her sister in most things so don't want to rush her. If it doesn't go well then we will abandon it and try again at 5 months I guess.

I never thought to ask at the time though, how much to give them at first?? And what texture? And any tips of making this a good experience for all :)

Thanks

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just followed the directions on the box. I think at first I just made a tablespoon & then added more as they learned how to eat it better.

3. beckman445

beckman445 Well-Known Member

I also did a tablespoon to start. And I made it really runny, think sliding right off the spoon if you pour it back into the bowl. Then you can thicken it up a bit as they get used to it.
    Good luck and have fun!

Laura

4. Tracy5780

Tracy5780 Well-Known Member

we started with a tablespoon and a verry runny consistancy...as they took to it more we increased and made a little thicker...i would talk to them as i fed them and would say yummy isnt this good, and open my mouth, etc...probablly looked like a fool but they seem to really enjoy eating so...

5. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Start with a teaspoon and work your way up

6. brieh

brieh Well-Known Member

Thanksm girls, I hope its not a disaster :)