Starting cereal

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jenm978, Apr 7, 2011.

1. jenm978

jenm978 Active Member

I've tried feeding my four month old twins cereal a few times now. They cringe and push it all out with their tongues. Anyone have any helpful hints? I could never get my now 3 year old to eat cereal at this age either. Finally I just mixed it with applesauce to get her to eat it.

2. Chrijodo

Chrijodo Well-Known Member

Sounds like they aren't ready for solids yet.. they shouldn't be pushing the food out with their tongue still a forward tongue thrust is a sign that they aren't ready yet.. I'd wait. But then again my 8 month olds aren't on solids yet.

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I would wait a month or so and try again. Sounds like they aren't quite ready yet. We didn't start solids until 6 months.

4. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

4 mo. is young... we didn't start until closer to 8 mo. either. I also didn't start with cereals... just avocado, sweet potato, banana etc.

a great resource I loved was wholesomebabyfood there is a section that shows what you can start when...

5. jenm978

jenm978 Active Member

Thanks for the advice and the link. I think we'll just wait a month and try some veggies.

6. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

I agree. Mine didn't start solids until they were almost 8 months old(6months adjusted.) No reason to feed them cereal that early unless the doctor says the need the extra calories and then I would just suggest switching to neosure or another higher cal formula. As far as the rice cereal none of my kids not my oldest or the twins would eat it. And be honest would you LOL Its looks smells and tastes(if I had ever tasted..) wallpaper paste. We started with Beechnut oatmeal with mixed fruit. LOVED IT! Now they eat real oatmeal each morning.

7. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I'm a compulsive reader. I read and read and read, and mostly nonfiction stuff.
    I've read a lot on feeding babies. I've never read anything that convienced me to start sooner rather than later. I'd wait until 6months or after.

With my son, I've really enjoyed the information on this site http://thebabycuisinecookbook.com/

8. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I agree with PPs. 6 months is the MINIMUM age to start solids. Many babies are not ready until they are older than that.

9. goferret

goferret New Member

The World Health Organization says not to start solids till at least 6 months old.

10. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I tried mine at 5 months and they weren't really into it, despite showing signs of being ready. No big deal, we waited and tried again at 6 months and there was no looking back. That early on it's more for the practice of eating rather than for calories, so just wait until they're ready :).

11. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

We started at 5.5 months but it was really only like a couple of practice spoons a day. Trust YOUR intuition...if it feels too early try again later. For us the timing just felt right and about 7 months we were really eating a few solids. Sounds like you are on top of it. :) Good luck!

12. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wouldn't worry about giving them cereal. I really regret giving mine cereal starting at 6 months now due to this recent article. http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/researchers-alarmed-over-arsenic-baby-food-9770