Starting and re-starting solids

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by waitingfortwins, Sep 10, 2013.

1. waitingfortwins

waitingfortwins Well-Known Member

Hi
    I have 7.5 month old twins that seem to have some issues with eating solids.
    We started solids (1x a day) around 6 months of age and we fed them homemade food. We did avacado, squash, carrots, peas and then things started to happen. We fed each food for three days and noticed constipation with carrots so we moved on to peas.

Then DS popped a tooth and had terrible diaper rash so we stopped solids to give his bum a break. Well we stopped for three weeks.
    We started up again and also introduced yellow beans, bananas, pears, peaches, and turkey. At this point we gave them also mesh eaters for dinner time and filled it with frozen banana or peach. As well we started feeding 2x a day and doing mesh eaters at dinner time .

During this time we also introduced them to powdered formula. They have been getting ready made formula as well as EBM. We noticed gas issues and waking up at night screaming with my son. So we stopped solids and powdered formula for three or four days.

Now we started up again but only 1x a day and no powdered formula. Well last night DS had his midnight bottle and would usually go back to sleep no problem but he just cried and fussed for an hour.

DD is doing okay but did get a rash from peaches and had puffy red eyes for a few days. Not sure if its bc of food or something else?

Is this common? Apparently the second time we intros solids I fed them too many times and introduced powdered formula and their bodies couldn't handle it. But we started again feeding a small amount (1 ice cube size shared btw the two) and DS seems to have issues at night.

2. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

Could your son be waking up because he is constipated and uncomfortable? Banana can cause constipation.
    OR does he have acid reflux that could be aggravated by certain foods? (if yes, i have a 'safe for acid reflux' list)
    What foods have you started them on this time?
    Even though they have had many foods before i would re-introduce each one separately. Not so much because of allergy concerns but so they have a chance to get use to the change and so you will know how they (and their stools) react to the different foods.

It is normal to see changes in the stool while they get use to the different foods.
    Sometimes i still have to be careful what i feed to avoid constipation or diarrhea.

Some helpful notes on foods:
    For diarrhea - think BRAT: (these will help to 'firm up' the stool
    Bananas
    Rice
    Apples
    Toast

For constipation my go to foods are: (these will help 'move things along')
    Pears
    Prunes
    Oranges

I am not sure about the rash and the puffy eyes. The only thing my kids reacted to with a rash was cinnamon. It doesn't seem like peaches would be a high 'allergy food'. You might ask your doctor.

3. waitingfortwins

waitingfortwins Well-Known Member

Thanks daisies. I haven't started them on any new foods yet just feeding foods they've ate. DS woke up again before midnight two times and sounded upset.

If it's reflux why would it affect him 11-12 hrs later? I feed them solids at around 11am and his wakings occur at 11pm?

Maybe it's object permanence?