Stairs and C-section recovery

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by ESCarroll, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ESCarroll

ESCarroll Member

Hi ladies- trying to plan as best I can and I'm trying to get a feel for what's going to be "doable", while recognizing all situations are different.

Anyway, wondering what kind of experience/advice BTDT moms might be able to offer regarding the feasibility of managing stairs several times a day once I get home from the hospital?

Thanks!!

2. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

I have stairs in my home as well & was able to go up/down just fine after my c/s :good:
    I did take things slow of course ~
    In fact it was easier after my c/s than it was during my last 6 weeks of pregnancy!! :laughing:

3. jjokitty

jjokitty Well-Known Member

We went so far as to set up a bed for me downstairs, assuming I wouldn't be able to go upstairs for a while. Well my first night downstairs was a nightmare. I was disoriented, cold, and I just hated it. The next day I went upstairs to get some clothes for myself, and as the pp mentioned, it was way easier than it had been during the last few months of pregnancy. I took it easy, one step at a time, but it was no trouble at all.

4. betha

betha Well-Known Member

We have a tri-level home. I was exhausted when the twins came home (12 weeks of bed rest plus c-section). I stayed on one floor a lot of the time. We set up their sleeping area in the living room, so I had easy access to the kitchen and bathroom. I was able to handle the stairs, I just took it slowly. I doubt you will have too much trouble. It gets easier every day after the c-section. Good luck!

5. Angelsamb

Angelsamb Well-Known Member

My sister had difficulty getting in and out of bed, let alone stairs so she actually slept in the living room on the couch because her bed was raised... she did it only for about 3 days, then she was able to manage sleeping in her bed!

6. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

I was worried about the stairs too, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I also think that the more you walk them the easier it gets.

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have stairs in our house and there was no way I would be able to avoid them after surgery. I was able to get up and down them fine, I just had to take my time. Good luck!

8. ESCarroll

ESCarroll Member

Thanks for all the advice! I was going to sleep on the couch on the main level when I came home from the hospital, but will only keep that as a back up option at this point...I know I would be far more comfortable sleeping in my own room anyway!

Good luck and thanks again!
    Erica

9. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

after my c-section with DS the stair was much easy then the laying and getting out of bed.
    hold the rail and slow walk. what I am not sure how easy it would be to carry both twins and going up or down the stair.... with one baby I was fine but I don't want to do this trip twice for each baby.
    we too set up everything for baby ( our first son) on both level and I went upstair only when we went to bed or if I cannto find something downstair. but On the first floor I had Graco pack'n Play with cahnging table and all set of wipes/diapers and etc...

10. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I, too, went up and down stairs right when I got home (3 days after the c/s) and I didn't have to much trouble. Yes, I did go real slow but it was doable. :good: