Stain remover

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Pattyztwinz, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Pattyztwinz

Pattyztwinz Member

I'm looking for a stain remover for the babies clothes that I can just put in the washer with the detergent. I am using Dreft detergent to wash their clothes and using spray 'n' wash to spray on the food stains, but we have so many bibs, burp cloths, and all of their clothes and it is really time consuming to spray each of the items. I am also going through A LOT of spray 'n' wash.....so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good stain remover. I did buy some Oxy clean stain remover made especially for baby clothes, but I'm not sure if it will work without bleaching their clothes.

Thanks!!!

2. butterfly02

butterfly02 Well-Known Member

I use baby oxi and LOVE it!!!

For stubborn stains I hang the washed item (still damp) outside in the sunlight and let the sun bleach them out....works GREAT!!!!!

3. ejiran

ejiran Well-Known Member

I've had good luck rubbing dish soap into the stains- especially poopie and squash, but I have to do that on an individual basis. Warm water and dreft has gotten everything else out for me.

4. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

For clothes I do individual spraying usually when I take them off of them. With bibs and spit/burp cloths (which we also use at meal time) I run a small load of hot water in the washer with detergent and oxyclean. Then I put all the bibs and cloths in and run it for a minute then stop it and let it soak overnight. I add the rest of the water on warm the following morning and add the remainder of the load. So far it works great as long as I don't let them sit with food on them too long. I've considered keeping a tub of water going for soaking. My mom said that's what she did with bibs since she was CDing as well and had the tub for those.

5. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

For cost savings, you can make your own stain remover.

1/2 cup ammonia
    1/2 white vinegar
    1/2 liquid laundry detergent
    1/2 cup water

Combine in a spray bottle. Works really well and is gentle on the clothes.

Or try using Borax as a laundry booster.

6. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

It is definitely a pain to spray everything. One time saver is to have public and at home bibs. :D I used to keep 4-6 bibs that I would only use when we were out of the house. Those are the only ones that were ever stain treated. All the others were tossed right into the wash.

I used the Dreft Stain Remover spray and LOVED it. I can count on one hand how many items were ruined because of stains. This stuff got out everything. Yes, I did have to spray it all piece by piece, but it was worth it to me.

eta: We used to have a couple of burp cloths also that we saved for outings that I would stain treat. Again, all the others were tossed right into the wash.

7. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

I soak the clothes in Oxi Clean and water and then wash in Ecover gentle laundry detergent and another two scoops of Oxi clean. I have never had a stain remain.

Jen

8. angeez78@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Oxi clean (regular) spray and Oxi clean powder in the washer. Also I don't spray the bibs or burp clothes and still no stains on the bibs maybe a few on the cloth diaper burp rags but very light.

9. prairiemom3

prairiemom3 Well-Known Member

This stuff is the absolute best stain remover I have used. I have tried many others but this stuff gets out used oil, blood, you name it. You do have to treat the clothes individually, but you will have no stains at all. It is truly amazing stuff!! It used to be sold through Amway, but is now sold through a company called Quixtar. It looks pricey but you use very little and IMO it's worth it.

http://www.quixtar.com/products/product.as...45&ctg=2083