stage 2 foods?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Rachel0980, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Rachel0980

Rachel0980 Well-Known Member

How do you know when to move up to stage two? My pedi said we could move up whenever we wanted too. So when did you all move up? And did you actually give your kiddos the desserts?

2. Rachel0980

Rachel0980 Well-Known Member

How do you know when to move up to stage two? My pedi said we could move up whenever we wanted too. So when did you all move up? And did you actually give your kiddos the desserts?

3. Stephe

Stephe Guest

We moved up once we had went through all of the Stage 1 foods. Most Stage 1 are single items so we did the normal allergy check. Once they went through those with no known allergies we moved to Stage 2 since they are usually mixed foods. Stage 2's are also bigger so our guys still share one at a meal. I'm not sure what other guidelines?

4. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I asked the pedi this yesterday while at there and other than the mixtures, stage 2 foods are the same as stage one only in a bigger container! I haven't started my kids on the desserts and I don't know if I will...

5. LanieK

LanieK Well-Known Member

My ped. said to start after their 6 mo. check-up...
    the boys started the stage ones at 4 mo. and have done super well.
    Since I was getting low on the stage one foods- I just went ahead and started getting twos. I bought all single foods unless the mixed was something they've had all the ingredients already- or just one additional ingredient. My boys each eat a whole 4 oz. container and their 7-8 oz. bottle besides! It works well because I can have them share 2 containers of different foods for a little variety and not waste a thing. They actually just tried stage 2 chicken and apples too! They loved it!!! I don't think we are gonna venture into the dessert ones- they have added sugar and other strange ingredients- we'll save that for much later!!
    Lanie

6. Doug and Leslie

Doug and Leslie Well-Known Member

We too moved up to stage 2's after we had gone through all of the stage 1's for 3 days each. Yes, we do give them the desserts, they love them! Also I had heard from different people not to give them the meats until later, but our pedi told us Monday that there is no reason why we cannot and to just gradually introduce them. So, my girls are going to have a jar of Turkey w/gravy and a jar of sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving din-din tomorrow [​IMG]

7. LindyFrog

LindyFrog Well-Known Member

Personally, I do not see any reason to give babies those desserts...why do they need that added sugar when they like their fruits just as well? (don't get me wrong...I have a major sweet tooth myself, so I am not all against sugar). Plus, a lot of them have added ingredients that are not necessary either. Most parents are so cautious about their baby food, checking to make sure they are not allergic to them so they try one at a time. This is a good thing...only the baby foods can be tricky once you move past stage one foods. Some of the baby foods have added wheat products, egg products, strawberries, tomatoes...all of these are foods that temp allergies, so they should be avoided until at least one year of age. I think it is all deceiving, as most babies are into stage three foods if not table foods by the time they are one year old...and yet many of the stage three foods have products in them that we are supposed to avoid until one year of age.
    Sorry...just a little rant...all of this is what made me make the majority of my baby food. I was tired of checking, avoiding, and being disgruntled!

8. xCandacex

xCandacex Well-Known Member

We did stage 2 after we went through the stage 1 for allergies. They still get some stage 1's but with the stage 2's they get combined foods (they have chicken and veggies etc)The doctor said it was fine when we were there yesterday.

As far as desserts...I think the only thing they've had that I would consider a dessert and not a fruit is Banana Tapioca and Strawberry Dessert...the rest has been single fruits or mixed fruits (strawberry, banana etc)