Spinoff of Ericka B's nap question

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by serranoboys, Sep 28, 2008.

1. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

So the boys have officially claimed our entire house...we moved them into our master bedroom (yes, they now have a double Hollywood sink, whirlpool tub, walk-in closet and glass stand-up shower...total necessities for 15 month olds :rolleyes: ) and we've taken the closet we liked to refer to as the boys' room. Bedtime was fine - they cried for a minute or two and have been fast asleep ever since. But the nap was HORRIBLE! One or both of them cried the entire time. Our only options are to keep trying to make it work for naps or have one of them nap in a pack n play in our room. This is fine, but I would love the idea of having a space upstairs to retreat to during naps instead of them literally controlling the entire house the entire day. So for those of you who nap both in the same room, did it take a while for them to get used to it or have I just waited too long? Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Man, that is a nice place to call home for some 15 month olds ;) I think they can still get used to each other. Have they always been together-just in a smaller room? Mine have always been in the same room and we still have days where one is crying and the other is sound asleep. Usually he settles down after a few minutes, but his brother is almost always asleep. I do have days when I think that separating them might be good, but I have just never gotten around to it.

3. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Sep 29 2008, 02:06 AM) [snapback]1002139[/snapback]
    Have they always been together-just in a smaller room?

That's the thing, they've only slept in the same room a couple of times since they were 3 or 4 months old.

4. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to hear more responses. My boys have been separated for naps since they were around 6-7 mos old. I, too, hate that they take over the house at naptime (1 upstairs, 1 down in a PNP). They seem to fall asleep ok in the same room, but never sleep as long (I'm talking 45 mins vs 2 hrs). I'd LOVE to put them back together, but have read a lot on here that it doesn't seem it'll happen easily. They're together at bedtime, but even that has had it's issues & we've separated them at that time, too.

How I wish I were rich enough to have a house big enough to split them into their OWN rooms!

5. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

We moved back to one room at 27 months and it was the best thing we've ever done. The first day of naps was a complete disaster, however, ending in no nap. When I finally gave up the fight and went in to declare my surrender I found both boys in one bed, two diapers on the floor and several 'wet spots' in the shared crib. <_<

They napped the second day, but partied for a good 75 minutes before giving in. At the end of the first week they settled in to the new arrangement and have both been so much happier at bed and nap times since. They still take a good 45-60 minutes to fall asleep most of the time, but the conversations we get to eavesdrop on makes it a fair exchange. Tonight Joe serenaded me with Black Horse and a Cherry Tree for a good 10 minutes (I was folding clothes in an adjacent bedroom)....only he only sang one part over and over and OVER again (I say no, no. No, no-no-no-no. No, no, you're not one for me)!

Anyhow, I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.

6. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'm much help, because my two have been napping in the same room since the beginning -- with mostly success. We do have bad days where no one naps, but for the most part, it's because one is "off" for whatever reason, and not because they're entertaining each other. They're completely used to having the other one there.

That said, we're about to separate them into their own rooms....I'm nervous, because does this mean we can never take a vacation and have them nap together again? Egad...