Spinoff of Babysitting Rates

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by serranoboys, Feb 29, 2008.

1. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

That is the question.

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

This isn't much help for SAHMs, but we use teachers from our daycare. They almost all babysit on evenings & weekends.

We've also used the teenage daughter of one of DH's colleagues -- she was a champion babysitter. Unfortunately she went to college.

3. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

Do you have friends or family that don't work you could hire. Pay them weekly? Or are you just talking about once in awhile babysitters?

4. JessicaD

JessicaD Well-Known Member

We have used Craigslist, but then insisted on interviews, "getting to know you" time w/ me, them and babies, and also them being willing to give up references and info for a background check (DH has connections w/ the sherriff, so we don't have to pay)...we have had good luck thus far, and it's more affordable than licensed.

5. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I have gotten sitters from the kids I tutor, and asking neighbors is also a good way to find one.

6. ellaila

ellaila Well-Known Member

i haven't used sitters yet, but i've heard great things about sittercity.com.

7. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

Goodness, I've been wondering this same thing. We have no friends and family nearby, so that stinks. My neighbor was sweet enough to offer a name- but the girl was only 14. And y'know, I don't care HOW mature she is, there's no way I'm leaving my twin babies with a 14 year old! If the boys were like 6, then MAYBE, but not two babies.

One of these years DH and I will get to go out alone... :rolleyes:

8. rensejk

rensejk Well-Known Member

We found our nanny on craigslist and she is AWESOME. We've been calling her Mary Poppins as a joke but it's actually kinda true.

9. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

QUOTE(bday111707 @ Feb 29 2008, 11:01 PM) [snapback]647370[/snapback]
    Do you have friends or family that don't work you could hire. Pay them weekly? Or are you just talking about once in awhile babysitters?

I mainly mean once and a while at night on the weekends so DH and I could go out. The babies would not even be awake. So I suppose I just need a housesitter ;)

10. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Our neighbor watches our girls three afternoons a week and has a 16 year old daughter who I would consider asking for an occasional evening if the girls are already in bed. But at the moment the only people who've watched the girls in the evening are my mom and sister (together- wimps!), or two very close family friends who offered (so sweet!).

11. ceb023

ceb023 Well-Known Member

Our local mother's of multiples club has a few older twin moms and some of their teenage daughters (some of them even sets of twins themselves) that babysit for a lot of the people in the club. I plan on trying them out soon. We've used my Mom Dad so far, but they live about an hour away so I always feel like I need to come home early. I think for our anniversary in May we may use someone that can stay a little later (like 9-10pm... we're parents now... so "late" has a new meaning) and I'll let you know how that works out! Maybe you can steal our sitter if she's just wonderful!

Carrie

12. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

We trade with friends to watch each other kids. THis has worked out great so far. In the evening we often put them to bed at their house then go out. THey go to bed a 7 so it works. We have also taked about our friends teenager doing it at night when they are in bed. If needs be call mom to come help if they wake up.

We find great people(teenagers/college students) at church then you can trust them.