Spelling Program

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by sharongl, Sep 24, 2009.

1. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Any one have their kids using this system in school? Our school just started using it, and I was wondering what anyone thought about it.

Thanks!

2. 2 Munchkins

2 Munchkins Well-Known Member

Never heard of it. We us spellingcity.com

3. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Is it sad that I have no idea what spelling system our school uses? :pardon:

4. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

We seem to use the standard "have them write them down three times."

5. sharongl

Jon brought home his book today, so I was able to see it. He was put in level "D", which as far as I can tell is 4th grade. This system seems to work on patterns, and sorting words into the spelling patterns. Evidently they work with up to 25 words, but will only be tested on a portion of them. I can say that I am impressed with his words--they are TOUGH! But, I am glad that they are putting the kids into groups based on their abilities.

6. Julie L

Julie L Well-Known Member

We don't use it at our school, but I do have the book. A school I was at years ago was looking at using it. If I remember right it's more about teaching strategies than actual lists.

7. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I used to teach with it and I loved it. I was teaching second grade and a lot of it was about word families, but I really liked that it could be adjusted for the child's level. Not all kids had to learn easy or hard words. FYI I taught in S. Brunswick, NJ and I have yet to teach in another district that I've been so impressed with the curriculum.

8. sharongl

That does seem to be the case, in that a lot of the older kids are in the "D" level that Jon is--I am talking 4th and 5th graders. But I have also heard that part of that is to help the kids catch patterns that weren't previously taught. Last year spelling words were pulled from the weeks reading--so they really didn't have a pattern to them, and they finish basic word families in first grade.

9. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

What do you mean by patterns Sharon? Morgan just started her spelling words last week, and for her they are always easy. But her teacher gave her extra harder ones to go along with the basic ones. I noticed her pattern was the short "a" sound. Not sure if it is the same thing you are talking about though.

10. sharongl

Jon is learning about open and closed syllables (yes, he had to explain it to me). In his book, they are looking at patterns regarding spelling with vowels and consonants. In other books they may be doing CVCe (magic e words). That is what I meant by patterns. Does that make sense?