Speaking of sippy cups - what do you introduce first - regular cup or sippy?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by i4get, Mar 14, 2007.

1. i4get

i4get Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that you need to teach a child to drink out of a regular cup 1st before you introduce a sippy cup. Kind of like the idea of not introducing the paci until BFing is well established.

What did you do? I've tried giving them some water out of a cup, and most of it ended up on their clothes/bib.

Shannon

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

Hi Shannon!

We have always done sippies before regular cups, simply for the spill factor! I am doing things a little different with the twins, than I did with my other kids. With the other I only put juice or water in their sippies, and then when we switched over from bottles, I had a hard time getting them to drink milk out of the sippies. With the twins I am only doing milk in the sippies, hopefully, I will avoid the problem. [​IMG]

3. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

Ha Ha, that is what we heard from an EI rep, and my first thought is you have got to be kidding me. Introducing a baby to a regular cup first is like introducing a baby to a potty chair before a diaper, kwim?

Even now I have to CLOSELY monitor them with a cup or it is all over my floor and them.

4. nanhancan

nanhancan Well-Known Member

Jamie is right on! I can't imagine my 3 y/o walking around with a regular cup- it would be a constant mess.
    I started giving the babies sippies around 6 months & by 7.5 they were really good at drinking from them.
    Good luck,

5. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

The babies only use regular cups. We have sippies but for now, the get EBM in a cup since a few weeks old. I did the same with my son, he learned to use a regular cup before a sippy.

6. KYsweetheart

quote:
    The babies only use regular cups. We have sippies but for now, the get EBM in a cup since a few weeks old. I did the same with my son, he learned to use a regular cup before a sippy.

If they can use a regular cup, succesfully, why even introduce a sippy? Wouldn't that be defeating the purpose?

I can't imagine a tiny baby using a cup... did you hold it for them? Tilt it up for them... (sorry, just trying to get a good imaginary picture of this).

7. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

I hold it and tip it for them. They can hold the cups but are still so spastic with it. The reason we do sippies is because I don't like to mop every day lol Our rule is cups at the table and sippies around the house, just so we contain the spillage.

8. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I started sippies at 7 months with my oldest. At 12 months all bottles were gone. At 18 months, we introduced a regular cup (at school - preschool transition program). A little before 2 years I threw all sippy cups out. We only use straw cups now (the disposable from First Years are great), in order to avoid major spills. But at the table, at school, etc. she drinks from a regular cup. But she's almost 3 now.

9. KYsweetheart

quote:
    I hold it and tip it for them. They can hold the cups but are still so spastic with it. The reason we do sippies is because I don't like to mop every day lol Our rule is cups at the table and sippies around the house, just so we contain the spillage.

Just what I was thinking then! Thank you Erykah!

Mine can and do drink out of regular cups now, but they have a lid with a straw in them [​IMG]

10. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

quote:
    Introducing a baby to a regular cup first is like introducing a baby to a potty chair before a diaper, kwim?

Great metaphor Jamie! My son is going to be five and he uses the cup with the straw and lid. He is a mess!

I still can't get my guys to drink from sippies. I don't know why but they have no interest in them. John was already using one by 7 months. [​IMG] These guys are very slow sometimes. Any suggestions anyone????

11. KYsweetheart

Sarah mine weren't interested in them either, until I made them switch cold turkey one week after their birthday!