Speaking of baseball...

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by jxnsmama, Apr 2, 2008.

1. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

Not to brag, but... :)

Jackson informed me after baseball practice yesterday that he has been chosen one of three team captains, he said "because of leadership, good example, and something else." :D He also found out that after several years of hard work and dedicated practice, he will finally get to pitch this year! :Clap: He's dreamed of this for at least 5 years and has never gotten the chance to prove himself until now.

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Congratulations, to Jackson!! Way to go!!!

3. BGTwins97

BGTwins97 Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Jackson!

Amy, my DS has done some pitching. I am NOT a sports parent at all -- more a chauffeur/hanger-outer with the other moms, very, very laid back -- but I'll tell you, I was shocked at how nerve-wracking it was for me when my DS was pitching. The only time I've ever been affected AT ALL by watching the kids do sports. Just be prepared for that.

4. jxnsmama

I was shocked at how nerve-wracking it was for me when my DS was pitching. The only time I've ever been affected AT ALL by watching the kids do sports. Just be prepared for that.

Yeah, I know. My brother pitched in college, and my 13-year-old nephew pitches now. I've heard my mom and brother talk about how upsetting it can be to watch their sons pitch, especially if he's having a bad day. I get upset for ALL the pitchers, and I know it will be far worse watching Jackson. DH has already talked to him about not getting too upset if he's walking a lot of guys or giving up a lot of hits, but knowing Jackson, he will definitely let it get to him. But this is something he's wanted for a long time. I'm glad he's getting the chance to try.

5. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

Whoo hoo! Go Jackson! :good:

6. BGTwins97

QUOTE(jxnsmama @ Apr 3 2008, 05:44 AM) [snapback]702314[/snapback]
    I'm glad he's getting the chance to try.

Definitely. I think it's really good for both their poise and their focus. And funny, but DS wouldn't get shaken (in fact sometimes he seemed a bit oblivious to it when he was off his game), but I'd just always feel so nervous for him on the sidelines. That was just so foreign to ME because I'm normally so laid back when they're playing sports.

DS probably won't pitch this year (we don't start baseball for another month, so hard telling at this point) and I'm a) glad he got the opportunity to do so because he had wanted to try it and b ) inwardly relieved that he's probably not going to be on the mound! :p

7. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

That's great!! Way to go Jackson!!

My nephew pitches and I do agree with the other statements. My sister (when he was in HS, he's now in college) would always say how nervous she was, or how much it could put him in a bad mood if he had a bad day. Definitely try to play up how much 'fun' it will be to pitch and play down the bad days.

8. jxnsmama

Well, so far so good on the pitching. He's been starting pitcher for several games now, and he's doing a great job. He's letting loose and throwing really hard, and he's striking a lot of kids out. Only one walk so far, I think. Our catcher is still learning the position, so a lot of kids get on base on their third strike when the catcher drops the ball. But Jackson's cool with it and feels good about the job he's doing. He was pretty nervous the first day (so was I), but now he can't wait to get back on the mound for every game. He's lucky to have very supportive coaches who want to keep the game competitive but also make sure it's fun and a positive experience, so he doesn't feel a lot of pressure.

I'm just so happy that he has found something he's talented at and that he enjoys doing!

9. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

That's great Amy. So glad he is enjoying it!!

10. BGTwins97

Thanks for the update. Sounds like he's very talented!

Do they allow him to pitch every game? Just wondering because our league has pretty strict rules about how much the kids are allowed to pitch; depending on how many pitches they throw, they have to have a certain number of days of rest.

My DS has his first game tomorrow (we had snow on the ground earlier this week!); he's 10, but he was put on the 11/12yo team this year, so he's a bit nervous about batting off the older, faster pitchers.

11. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

Captain Jackson! Or, Captain Jack for short ;)

Congratulations to him. I'm glad all his hard work was rewarded and I hope he enjoys pitching!

12. jxnsmama

Do they allow him to pitch every game? Just wondering because our league has pretty strict rules about how much the kids are allowed to pitch; depending on how many pitches they throw, they have to have a certain number of days of rest.

So far, there's only been one game he hasn't pitched in. This league is strict as well. He was the first pitcher on Thursday, and I helped the coach count pitches. Coach held each pitcher to a maximum of 35 pitches (we went through five pitchers -- need to work on that defense!!) so they could also play today. And we had to verify the pitch counts with the other team's coaches after each inning.