Something I ate?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by pinemom, Jul 3, 2012.

1. pinemom

pinemom Member

Hi. My twins (7 weeks) stopped producing yellow seedy poop weeks ago and have since had dark brown poop. One is exclusively breast fed and the other get a couple bottles of formula supplement a day. It's not seedy, either. It's just glossy (but not what I'd call slimy). Both babies have pretty consistent reflux. I cut out soy and dairy about two weeks ago and no change. I'm wondering if it could be from the vitamin??? Both get 1 ml of polyvisol a day, and that stuff is brownish (and gross). Any ideas?

2. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

The same thing happened with my girls. They had normal BF poop and then one day inexplicably it became liquidy and gross, with no major change in diet. I asked my ped about it and she said as long as they are still gaining weight, it's not a big deal. As an aside, I've never given polyvisol and never had any negative side effects from skipping it, so if you think that might be it, maybe try cutting it out and see what happens.

3. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

If you still want to make sure they get the vitamin D, there is D-Vi-Sol. IMO, it's less gross than the Tri-Vi-Sol. I never had any effects in the BMs from using either of those. Never tried the Poly-Vi-Sol.

4. ihavesevensons

ihavesevensons Well-Known Member

I haven't given my kids the vitamins either, and I have 9 children......they are GROSS!!!!!!! I dare you to put a small amount on your finger and taste it, you will never give it to the kids again.......I am not sure what the drug companies and doctors were thinking when they decided that the babies needed to take them. For the record, they are the exact same as they were 20 years ago when my oldest was a baby........ICK.

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Do you have D-Drops in the States? It's a whole dose of vit D on one tiny drop that you can put on a soother or your nipple or straight on their tongue if they'll hold their mouth open long enough. :laughing: No sickly sweet taste. :good:

6. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I actually have tried the d-vi-sol b/c my pediatrician said it tasted terrible and it tasted fine to me. None of my girls who took it seemed to dislike it. The dr said it might be a genetic quirk. That said, d-vi-sol tastes better than tri-vi-sol.

And, yes, there are some versions in the states that are 1 drop. I haven't found them yet though.