So Tired And Ready To Let Them Cio Already!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by sitkamom, Apr 7, 2007.

1. sitkamom

sitkamom Well-Known Member

So I'm not going to but man do I feel like just letting them CIO already! They seem so fussy lately...maybe has to do with the days getting longer and us trying to get SOME kind of night time routine down. Where we are it's light til just about 9pm already and it's only going to get worse. By the middle of June it's light til around 11pm. What am I going to do then??!?!!! Thanks for letting me vent, I have to go soothe a fussy baby <_<

2. Laura in Alaska

Laura in Alaska Well-Known Member

I've been wondering the same thing! There really isn't a place in our house that we can get dark during the summer. So far they have night time sorta figured out. They've been doing a 5 hr stint of sleep somewhere between 10pm - 4am, then about 3 or 4 hrs more til around 7am. But they're awake and fussy almost every night from 6pm - 11am. What are they gonna do when it looks like 6pm outside at 1am?!

3. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Here is a link for darkening blinds. I bought them and they work well. If you move around the site, you will see more.

I remember their 6 week app. when their ped. said that in a couple weeks, we will notice a change in their behavior. He basically said the honeymoon will be over!

Take one day at a time. You can do it!

4. Trillian

Trillian Well-Known Member

No advice, just hugs.

When I was small we used to visit my grandmother in Scotland in the summer. It stayed light till almost midnight and then turned twilight before it got light again. My mom used to put a blanket over the window because at 3 years old I thought that because it was light, it was daytime. I remember laying in bed hearing people coming home from the pub and singing and my mom just telling me to ignore it and go to sleep :lol:

Try some heavy drapes like the pp said, making the room darker might help some.

5. first_second_and_last

first_second_and_last Well-Known Member

RUN and Get Dr. Weisbluth's book called "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child". It states that around that 6-8 week mark, children go through a super fussy stage that impacts sleep. It will pass. This book helped me out so much back then and still does.

We had our babies in the summer and really didn't have any issues with the nighttime/daylight. Get some room darkeners if you think that this is keeping the babies off kilter.

6. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

It will pass but darkening shades can help. My twins are going to bed at 6 pm, light or dark. They're more used to the routine and get tired around that time and THAT's what I take advantage of. It doesn't depend so much on the light. When babies get older, they need earlier bed times since they'll be more aware and awake during the day. My twins were already down at 6/7 pm at 2 months of age, in order to catch a 12-hour night (with a feeding in between). They now go down at 6 pm, wake around 5-6 am, go back down, and at 7 am I wake them to start the day. Back down at 9 am for a nap ... we're following Weissbluth too, especially since it worked so well with our first and he's also our ped.

7. becky5

becky5 Guest

Hang in there momma, and get some shades! :hug99: