So Swollen!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by khdood, Apr 18, 2011.

1. khdood

khdood Member

Hi Ladies,

I am now 32.5 weeks, and in the past few days I've just ballooned. My hands feel twice as big, and I'm seriously contemplating getting my wedding ring cut off. Dr checked my blood pressure, protein levels in blood and urine, thyroid factors -- everything is normal. I've tried drinking lots of and lots of water, cutting out all caffeine, sleeping on my left side, staying off my feet as much as possible (which helps a little bit) -- but nothing seems to help. Does anyone have any recommendations? The worst part about the swelling is discomfort -- I wasn't getting very good sleep before, and now night time feels like torture. I know I only have 3.5 weeks to go... but I just feel so miserable.

Thanks!

2. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Compression stockings. And get the ring of and leave it off. I started swelling early, and it was ridiculous by delivery. It eventually got to the point where it didn't go down. Stay off your feet as much as possible. Keep them elevated. Wear compression stockings. Drink tons of water. But it's probably going to stick around. And be forewarned that for me it got worse after delivery and took a couple weeks to fully resolve. But it does eventually go away!

3. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Same here. By the time I had my girls it just never went down. Any walking (even just down the hall to the bathroom) caused me to swell up. However, mine did go away as soon as they were born. Hang in there, you only have a few more weeks.

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Keep drinking water! And I second what the first Rachael said, get your ring off (put your fingers up in the air for 10 minutes to move some of the swollenness further down your hand, then use soap or glycerin to remove it) and leave it off for now. I started swelling at 4 months and it never went away. I lost 60 pounds of water after delivery I was so swollen (but now I have major problems with water retention 3.5 years later). And thirsty! I was drinking at least 2-3 gallons of water a day, plus ice, but was still thirsty.

So keep drinking water and keep an eye on everything else.

5. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I gained 38 pounds in pregnancy and lost 65 in 3 weeks following delivery. So that's the plus I guess!

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, I had this too. Rachel's right- after a certain point it would not go down. I'd have people massage my legs and elevate but within 20 minutes it was back. It took a couple of weeks for mine to go away after delivery as well. PPs are right- get that ring off now while you still can. It'll fit again someday. ;)

7. khdood

khdood Member

You guys are a huge help! After holding my hand over my head for half an hour (fortunately I was home alone) the swelling went down enough that with some dish detergent and yanking, the ring came off. It was a huge relief.

On a side note -- my well intentioned but occasionally poorly phrased SIL (a dr, no less) said to me the other day (after not seeing me for a few months) "you look really good. you haven't gained much weight anywhere except your belly. except, well, your lips are swollen...and your nose...and your cheeks." her compliment was somehow lost on me. :)

3.5 more weeks!

8. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I had this too, although with the twins it started quite late around 35 weeks. It was quite severe but everything was normal. My babies were measuring 2 weeks ahead so they linked it to that. I had u/s done in my right leg at 36 and 37 weeks because I had trouble bending it due to the swelling. Couldn't even fit my UGGs anymore. It lasted until a few hours of delivery. I gained 43 lbs, delivered 15 1/2 lbs baby at 38w2d and walked out of the hospital barely a few lbs above my pre-pregnancy weight ... 48 hours later. I kept my legs up a lot the last 2 weeks but also had to move in order to keep the blood flow going. A mixed hot / cold shower on my legs also gave relief.

9. TennesseeMomma

TennesseeMomma Well-Known Member

Try to stay away from salt as much as possible and my friend said to eat celery....I guess its full of water?

10. FirstTimeMomma

FirstTimeMomma Well-Known Member

I started swelling on Easter, my feet and ankles blew up. Now Im getting the red palms & swollen fingers :rolleyes:

11. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

I echo all the pp. Especially getting the ring off, I waited too long and had to get mine cot off. I DID get a nice replacement...3 yrs later.

12. NappyThoughts

NappyThoughts Member

My feet, legs and hands have suddenly swelled to great lenghts. I did hear about compression hose, does anyone recommend the stocks or stockings?