So depressed about weaning

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by momof5, Jul 4, 2012.

1. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

Last Sunday I had to go back on my Lexapro. I had to stop nursing the baby (she is 6 months). I really didn't want to stop but I didn't want her getting any medication through my milk, either. I am just so depressed that I had to stop. I fought so hard to keep my supply up and be successful and now it is over. She is my last baby, I will never breastfeed again : ( .

2. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

why do you have to wean? According to this link up to 20 mg per day shouldn't affect the baby, especially since she's over 2 mos old...

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~QaeN6R:1

this is also from National Institutes of Health so it is a trusted source...

3. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

I wasn't cmfortable with taking Lexapro and breastfeeding. Every where I looked it gave conflicting answers if it was safe or not. I haven't nursed in about 10 days now : (

4. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

That really sucks :(. Good for you though for keeping it up for 6 months AND doing the best thing for you and for your baby in the long run. Happy mother=happy baby, no?

5. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

Dr. Thomas Hale of the infant risk center is the worlds expert and even he classifies it as SAFE to take Lexapro while nursing- much more so than the risk associated with Formula Feeding. Nurse your baby!

6. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

I haven't nursed since June 24 and I no longer own a pump and can't afford one! Too late?/

7. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

you work on a mom/baby unit correct? Can you rent from the lactation department?

8. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

I did rent one. It was $63 a month. I returned it 2 weeks ago.