Snowpants?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Trishandthegirls, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

At what age do kids switch over from bib style snowpants to regular pants style snowpants? I just went online to purchase snowpants for my girls (they're 4.5 years old) and saw that I can now choose from the bib pants -- like overalls, or snowpants that end at the waist. My girls have parka snow jackets, so they come down to mid hip.

I'm thinking I'll go with the regular pants, not the overall style, but wanted to check with you ladies to see if that's a mistake for 4 to 5 year olds. Thanks!

2. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I didn't switch my older son over until last year at 10.

3. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Since we snowboard in the winter I go with pants so I don't have to strip them each time they need to potty ! I like them much better.

4. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

My twins are 7 and we still prefer the bib type. We like them because they don't get snow up their back with the bib. Also, m girls are super skinny, so the bib fit better. I also think that they keep them warmer. They ARE a pain when using the bathroom!!

5. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

We switched our twins last year. They had turned 5 in the Fall. It was just easier for them them to get on and off by themselves at school. Also, our school makes the kids wear their snowpants down to lunch and they get really hot. The regular pants (non-bib style) helped them stay a bit cooler. DD1 probably switched 2 yrs. ago, so when she was 6.5 or 7 yrs. old.

6. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what the normal use is and how much actual snow your kids play in. Even as an adult, I much prefer the bib snow pants. They keep me warmer and I rarely get snow up my back (if I take a graceful fall while skiing!). We get a lot of snow in our area and it gets very cold. My kids crawl around in the snow and build forts, have snow ball fights, build snowmen, etc so they will probably stick with bib pants.

When I was in HS on the ski racing team, I had the snow pants (not bib) and I hated them. I hated ever getting snow up my back. As soon as I was able to get a new pair of bib pants, I did, and I have never switched back.

1 person likes this.
  7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My almost 11 year old daughter (and all her friends) still wear the bib style for the snow.

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I have no plans to stop using bib pants. They're MUCH better for skiing and sledding. DH and I have bib snowpants ourselves!

Yes, going to the bathroom is kind of a pain, but better (IMO) than having snow up the back and down the bottom.

9. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone else. I use bib pants myself so I never considered getting my girls anything but that. I imagine it will be a little more difficult with school, but it will be better than them getting wet and cold outside on the playground.

10. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

We used the non-bib style last year (6 years old) and had no issues with sledding. His jacket comes down over his hips though. I am going to see what kind he wants this year. Just an FYI--Costco had them on sale last year for under $20. Totally worth it.

11. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Yeah .. we never had issues either ! The pants are pretty snug around the waist and the jackets come down past the waist line. Even after a day of snowboarding .. my guys were always dry. I think it's just a matter of what the child might be more comfortable in.

12. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I went with regular pants style for this year, mainly because Costco had really nice ones in the color I wanted for an awesome price at the end of last winter. Prior to that, I've done the bib style. Their coats are longer so I think it should work out okay.