SNOW

Discussion in 'General' started by ljcrochet, Jan 26, 2015.

1. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I hate snow.  Depending on which weather forecast I look at, my area is expected to get 24+ to 36+ inches of snow tonight into tomorrow.   Both of my girls do not have snow boots.  I'm hoping to leave work my 1 and stop at either walmart or target to look for some.

Who else is in the path of this storm?  what are you doing to prepare?

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I made the mistake of doing my regular grocery shopping yesterday at BJs Wholesale... The perfect "storm" of people shopping for Super Bowl parties and freaking about the impending snowmagedon!  It was NUTS!  And I passed several gas stations with lines.  I think people have PTSD from Hurricane Sandy. 

My girls are at school now, but I just got an email from one of their teacher's that they are being dismissed at 12:45.  I might pick them up earlier though if the snow looks like its getting bad (its already snowing here).  This is one of the benefits of working from home!

3. ljcrochet

I had to go return something at costco.  The parking lot was insane.  DH wound up dropping me off.  I just did the return and left.   I haven't heard yet that my girls are having an early dismissal. 

4. Leighann

I just got the call that my girls are being released at 1pm... AND they closed school for tomorrow AND wednesday.  Port Jeff Village has already declared a "state of emergency" starting at 12noon and going until noon on Wednesday.

5. ljcrochet

wow.  As of now my girls have a full day of school today, and the after school activities are still on.  I wonder what time they are going to all the early dismal? 

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Can I say that I have snow envy?? I really love snowstorms where the whole town gets shut down.

Sadly its sunny and 70 here today.

7. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We are in the thick of it! Our county just skirted the blizzard warning which is funny as all of CT is under the warning and we are a mere minutes from CT.

Our forecast is...pick a number! 18-30" we are forecasted. I think they have us around the 24 in mark. I'm hoping for the blockbuster of 30"(where my brother and sis live). I just want a huge storm!

We do have to worry about my parents, as they could lose power(as could we), but they have a steep driveway, and that's an issue. They won't have water or heat. So we will hope we don't lose power...

And dh is freaking out about our basement. It has a tendency to get....wet...so he's partly panicked. But I have everything off the floor. Sooooo....

Stay safe everyone! No early release here either. Full day of school.

8. Leighann

My sister-in-law in Minnesota just texted that she is watching the weather channel and they are reporting from my town!  HA!  She is laughing and making fun of us... but she is in WAY northern Minnesota so yeah, they are kind of used to this (funny that today's temp there is 40!).  We are in the blizzard area with storm surge flooding threat, 60-75mph winds tonight and 2-3' of snow... fun times.  Fingers crossed that we don't lose power.

9. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Both sides of our family are getting hit and we're down here snickering a little.  I love living in the South!    

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yesterday, school was dismissed early at noon.  They called off schools last night.
    They were forecasting anywhere between 6 to 18 inches here. Wake up this morning and if there is 3 inches on the ground, I'd be shocked.
    I told the kids they got lucky today.  It's supposed to snow all day though, so I don't know what we will wind up with officially.  If we make 6 inches, I'd be surprised.

11. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We were the only school to go in yesterday, and had an early dismissal--definitely worth going in for the day--it wasn't bad at dismissal at all.  Today we are closed, and I will be surprised if it isn't a regular day tomorrow.  Well, off to the movies for us--the boys are dying to see Paddington, so we will use the bonus day to see the movie.

12. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I came just to check on the snow reports. I've got friends in NE whose cars are half buried! I'm glad everybody here is faring well.

We had snow this morning in ENC! It fell from the sky, anyway. Didn't actually stick to anything. ;)

13. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We got around ten inches. A big bust in this part of the state. A lot of other eastern ma friends/ts'ers got buried. My sister was close to 30 inches...

14. Leighann

We got a little less than 2' but with some big fun drifts because of the wind.  My girls have another snow day today because we live in a very hilly area and not all the roads are completely clear yet.  

15. ljcrochet

I think all the school districts in our county are closed, while in Nassau they are all on a 2 hour delay.  I think we got around 2 feet, but not really sure.  

16. Leighann

Wow I didn't know that!  I thought our town was just being overly cautious.  

17. ljcrochet

I was checking all the local to me districts, trying tobgovtobthe his to run my crews today with the and snow. amount.