Snotty 16 week old

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by sistersbeall, Feb 21, 2011.

1. sistersbeall

sistersbeall Well-Known Member

So I have been snotty and coughing for two weeks now. The twins have had the snot for a week and a half, and one of them now has the cough. Audrey, the 16 week old, has gotten the snot now too. I am doing saline and trying to suction, but NOTHING is coming out. She has a humidifier in her room too. What else can I do to help her get rid of this snot and help her breathe better? I am at a loss. Thanks. Also, if anyone has any advice on how to get rid of my snot and cough it would be greatly appreciated :)

2. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

If you have a local health food store, you can try something called Olba's oil. You can put a few drops in boiling water and stand near it with her, or you can even put a few drops on a cotton ball and put it between her sheets and mattress. I did that with myself the last cold I had and it really helped (except I put mine on a tissue in my pillow case).

3. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Get the batteried nasal aspirator. It works way better than the rubber one. If my kids got cold and I use the rubber one it takes over a week for them to get better. Butwith the batt one, it cleaned out bugers snot in couple days. My girl got a cold for 3 days. But we could fine the batt one until last night, since we use it she got better.

For stubborn snot, drop nasal drops in both noses, leave for 2 mins, then suck. Do it every 30mins. I know it sucks so bad and they hate it and alot of screaming. But it's the only way to get rid of it.

Are you breastfeeding? I do. But my doc prescribed mucinex it got worse before it got better. But I have to tell you my supply decreased. But I have to work harder for it to get back. Robitussin is for cough and it's safe with breastfeeding too.

And your babies are too small. Call heir Pedi or take them in. Stubborn snot in newborns is dangerous I think. Hope everyone feels better soon

Bébésounds Nasal Clear Battery Operated Nasal Aspirator

4. csteen

csteen Active Member

Mine had the same problem - she is the same age and I actually think she has allergies but DD went to an ENT recently and he suggested putting 4 drops of saline in each nostril first thing in the morning, before every feeding and right before bed! It seems like a lot but he said it was perfectly safe and it has done wonders! I know you said you were doing the saline but maybe just do it a bit more! Also we keep DD upright after the saline drops for at least 15 minutes and we always get a lot of stuff coming out (gross)

Good luck!

5. sistersbeall

sistersbeall Well-Known Member

Thanks. I will try the saline more often. I have the battery operated nasal suction thing, but I always forget abuot it. I will give it a try.

I have been on micinex and it has not helped. I found a prescription allergy pill and that has helped alot. I may just have to take those every day now.

6. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

If you think u might I've allergy I suggest to run air purifier in the house. It really helps alot. We always have 1 running when somebody's sick or allergy season.

U can get one at Walmart. I got the one no need replaced filter. I just wash it off e every month. If you see the filter u will think it's a must to have an air purifier. The air we are breathing is....not clean lol.

7. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You've gotten some good advice already. If you think it's getting worse, and not better, it's always good to have her checked out.

As for the coughing, have you tried baby vick's on the soles of her feet? Works WONDERS. I would put it on the soles of the kids feet, cover with socks or the footed sleepers...silence all night. I kid you not. Don't ask me how it works-but it does!

:hug: Hang in there momma! I hope you are all healthy in no time!

8. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

I agree with the PP about putting vicks on the soles of their feet. It definitely works wonders.

Also, turn the shower on super hot and shut the bathroom door. Let it run for a few minutes and then take baby in there and sit down and let baby breathe in the steam. Then try to suction, that helps too.