Snide Comments

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by cheezewhiz24, Sep 21, 2011.

1. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wish my Mom would let it go that she & I are different when it comes to raising kids. Especially BFing. Last week I took the boys to a mall where there was a Victoria's Secret store. Orion, (my from birth great nurser :wub:), walked up to a gigantic picture of a model in underwear and stared. Not for just a minute, but for quite a while. Eventually he sank to his knees, staring. I laughed it off, saying, "Well, he's not a leg man". :lol: I told my mom this story and her reaction was the following:

"I guess maybe you nursed him too long. Maybe with the next one you should wean before a year". WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :slap:

Sadly, I think she's serious. I believe she nursed me until she went back to work at 7 weeks- then it was all formula. I have had chronic milk allergies all my life and didn't sleep through the night until well after 2. I don't judge her choice- I know she was the primary breadwinner at the time and there weren't many options for her. She absolutely made the best choices she could for her family.

I just wish she'd respect me for doing the same. :(

It's going to be interesting having her here when I have a newborn, nursing a good 18 hour of 24 hours a day- when I'm sleep deprived, I can be a little militant about nursing. :diablo:

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Since I nursed my son I've heard the opposite - that if I nurse him too long he'd be a titty baby and therefore gay. :pardon:

People love to say dumb things!

3. Cjoy

Cjoy Well-Known Member

I felt as though my family was constantly wondering when I would stop nursing. It seemed like someone always asked, "Are you still nursing?" or "Do they take bottles yet?".

Noone ever came right out and said anything regarding it, but I always felt a bit of tension when I left the room with a baby.

Whenever I was asked such questions, I would remind people that the US recommendation is to nurse for 1 year...and the World Health Org. recommends 2 years. I think snide comments come from ignorance of the benefits of nursing. If I had to do formula, I would have with no question (as every mother just wants a healthy baby no matter what their food source & we did supplement a little in the beginning).

Either way, nurse your babies however, whenever and where ever you feel comfortable.

Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My mom formula fed us twins because you just cannot breastfeed twins. (back then that was what people said). She nursed the brothers (who are 10 & 12 years younger than me) to about 7/8 months when they self-weaned. :eyeroll: I'm sure they were put on 1% milk at that time.

:hug: Sorry.. she is a different generation.

5. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I can't believe she'd bring up your nursing. It is so not her business. It is a totally different generation though; my MIL (who used to be a maternity ward nurse) also harassed me to quit! Her own daughter quit under pressure from her MIL at 2 months so her daughter could stay at her MIL's house overnight. Craziness.

:laughing: about Orion. That's funny.

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:gah: Oh people & their lovely opinions. ;) I expect Orion just has a very healthy respect for the breast - not a bad thing! :laughing:

I've already started dropping the line here & there that if this upcoming babe decides to nurse until kindergarten that'll be fine. I mean, who knows if I'll be willing to go that long, but he's likely going to be our last babe & if he & I are happy to keep nursing, we'll keep nursing. I just want people to be prepared for the possibility. :babyflips:

7. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

Oh my! People say the craziest things. If it's overt enough of a comment, I will just confront people directly about their ignorance. For example: "You aren't implying that breastfeeding is sexual or creates sexual issues are you? Because that's just not true." But if it's more subtle, I just pretend not to pick up on whatever negativity they are sharing with me and just act like they said something wonderful. For example: "I know, I am so glad I was able to nurse as long as I did too. What a wonderful experience it was for all of us!"

I have to tell you my funny VS story though. When mine were still nursing (but old enough to talk - can't remember exact age), we were sitting outside of Victoria's Secret and they had this huge ad the whole size of the wall of a woman in bra and panties. When Ethan noticed it, he asks me, "That mommy wearing her bra?" He was just so matter-of-fact (and loud!) about it. Cracked everyone around us up :laughing:

2 people like this.
  8. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I should let my mom know that I'm planning on nursing #3 longer. I'd like to make it until age 2 if s/he's willing.

I'm not worried about O- he's a pint sized version of a lot of men out there. ;) I expect if my DH could get away with staring at the VS ads like O did, he would, too. :lol:

1 person likes this.
  9. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

1 person likes this.
  10. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

LOL! I'm with you. My twins made it to 15 and 19 months before *sniff* deciding they were "all done" (said in words and sign to double emphasize it!) so I'm hoping this babe will go to 2. So many women quit because of lack of support from family. Drives me crazy!

11. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

:rotflmbo: :rotflmbo:

Just an added bonus when the look on peoples faces when you are 'still bf!' walking talking toddlers.

12. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

tell her you're gonna nurse until kindergarten next time! haha!! ugh for people butting in where their opinions are not wanted. my family & friends have been really supportive, but my mom has on occasion made comments like "you should quit"... like I should be put out by nursing etc. my two finally have started weaning, but not until 2 wks after preschool started last month. mainly they'll ask for it 1 or 2 times a week now... I NEVER envisioned nursing almost 3.5yr olds!!! and I'm glad they are weaning... it's been sweet and everyone should be able to do and enjoy nursing however long they want to!

13. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I just don't mention the fact that I'm still nursing Spencer (2 1/2) to very many people. I don't want the earfull.

Pretty funny about Orion!

14. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

just try to remember that it's no one's business but yours, and you are the momma and make the decisions! i know it's hard when people critisize--especially people we love like our parents--but just try not to let it bother you. nothing good can come of that. my mentor once told me to "take the best, and leave the rest." i think that's good advice..... take her help w/the newborn and leave her silly comments. and any other silly comments. they come from ignorance.

best of luck!

jl (who's still nursing one of mine--holy cow!--what would most people say?!)