Slighty elevated amniotic fluid for Baby B

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by bella3250, Jun 3, 2013.

1. bella3250

bella3250 New Member

I am currently 29 weeks pregnant with fraternal twin boys. So far I have had a great pregnancy with very minimal issues. One just being anemia that I needed 8 weeks of iron infusions. I feel great. I went in for my monthly ultrasound at the Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor and everything looks great. Babies are measuring right on target. Baby A is 2lbs 8 oz and Baby B is 2lbs 11 oz. When the doctor came in to examine me she told me that Baby B had "slightly" elevated amniotic fluid. She said it was so slight she didn't even want to write it up. She said the fluid was measuring at 7.5 which is normal. Anything under 8 is normal. But a deep pocket measurement is measuring 8.5. She said that 90% of the time nothing is wrong. But she did say something "could" be wrong and to come back in a week so they can check the fluid levels again. Baby A's fluid level is within normal limits. I've had all testing done for genetic abnormalities. I had the ultrascreen and the other test for downs syndrome later on in the pregnancy. I also had a one hour glucose test done at around 22 weeks and that was also normal as well. Has anyone else had this issue and everything was completely fine. I am so scared. Thank you in advance.

2. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'd try not to worry knowing that u/s measurements can be off, especially considering it was a .5% over what is considered normal. I'd just have them keep an eye on it. :grouphug:

3. bella3250

bella3250 New Member

Thank you Lesley Anne. I am trying not to worry about it but you know when you're pregnant you worry about everything. Especially being pregnant with twins. I thank you for the encouragment. :)

4. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh of course!! Be sure to keep us posted.

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had mono-di girls and at 27 weeks baby B was diagnosed with polyhydramnios (extra amniotic fluid). At the time, they were very concerned due to the possibility of TTTS. I think I had like 5 ultrasounds that week. In the end, there were no other TTTS markers nor were there any other issues besides the fact that she had a lot of amniotic fluid. She was born happy and healthy, although 1.5 lbs heavier than her sister and a bit early at 34+1. We didn't have any of the genetic screenings or tests although I did choose to have the GD screening due to a family history of type II diabetes (it was negative).

There will always be something to worry about, even after they're born. You can choose to worry about it or choose to let it go and deal with any issues that happen IF they actually happen. :hug:

6. bella3250

bella3250 New Member

Thank you miss bossy. I go back to the MFM doctor on thursday.

7. southernmommy

southernmommy Well-Known Member

Try not to worry. In all 6 of my pregnancies my amniotic fluid was at least double the normal amount. None of my kids had any problems. My dr just put it down to me being me. With the twins I could have had quads and had enough fluid and then some for them.

8. bella3250

bella3250 New Member

I went in for another ultrasound this morning. I got conflicting information. The sonogram tech said Baby B's fluid was the same at 8.5 mg. So nothing changed. Everything else is normal. Then the MFM doc came in and measured the fluid and she said that fluid actually decreased a little bit. She wants me to come back in two weeks. She didn't seem very concerned. So I'm wondering why they got two different measurements.

9. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ultrasound measurements are more art than science. The same tech can take the same measurement three times and get three different numbers. HTH.