sleeping arrangements?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by linnmarie85, Apr 29, 2014.

1. linnmarie85

linnmarie85 Member

I'm curious if most people have their twins in the same bassinet and crib for awhile. Do I really need to buy two bassinets or two cribs or is it better to keep them together? Is it safe to keep them together? What is everyones thoughts and what worked best for you?

2. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Our twins shared a full-size crib for nearly a year. We just did not have enough space for 2 cribs in our bedroom and I wanted them close by at night for breastfeeding. We had them in sleepsacks and placed them well apart in the early days. It was a long time before they moved around enough to occasionally disturb oneanother and by that time it was no longer a safety concern if they did end up on top of oneanother or entangled.

They also shared a bassinet which we had in the living room for naps for the first weeks but that was so small that they soon started disturbing. So, while I appreciated being loaned one I did not get much use out of the bassinet and am glad we did not buy one.

3. southernmommy

southernmommy Well-Known Member

My twins shared a crib until they were over 2. At almost 4 they still share a bed. They have always slept better together than apart. 1 of our girls broke her arm around 1yr old and we separated them thinking they would be more comfortable, no beating the other in the head with a hard cast, and the they were both miserable. After a week they went back together.

4. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Mine shared until 8 months.

5. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

Mine shared a crib until they were five months old. No problems. When we moved into a bigger house, they each got their own crib. There was really no difference in their sleep patterns from being together versus alone.

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had mine in separate bassineettes (I had one already from my oldest DD) and then my SIL gave me one.  And then when we moved them to the crib they each had their own crib.  It was just my preference for them to not share and have their own bassinette and crib.

7. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

Mine shared a co-sleeper for the first few months and then a crib for a little bit after that. But by 5ish months DD would wake DS up by kicking the rails and side of the crib. (She'd sleep through it.) So at that time we separated them. (As a side note, she's still our very restless sleeper. I feel sorry for her friends when she has sleepovers.)

8. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

We didn't have bassinettes.  We used one pack and play for naps during the day.  They shared that and we did that until they were about 3 months old.  They had separate cribs for sleeping at night.

9. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

Mine shared the bassinet insert of a pack n play until they hit the weight limit (they were a bit over 7lb each), then we moved them to sharing a crib.  They shared the crib (each swaddled separately) until we started finding them rotated sideways from where we'd put them down.  We separated them at that point because we were worried they would kick each other after rotating themselves.  I think maybe it was about a month and a half or so after we put them into the crib but I don't really recall.

10. linnmarie85

linnmarie85 Member

Thanks everyone. Your comments are very helpful.

11. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two shared a crib until they were 6 months old, when they got too big to be in one crib together comfortably.
    Gina, my daughter is a restless sleeper too!  I don't know how she never woke up my son all that time.  She was all over the place and still is when she sleeps.

12. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine shared a crib in our room until they were about 9 months old, but really, they only used it for naps and half the night, most of the time we were cosleeping with them.  ;)

13. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

We did have separate bassinets, but most of the time they were together.  They're 8 and share a queen size bed.  They shared until they got separate toddler beds (though I'd often find them in one together).  About the time they were outgrowing those, we were given the queen size bed and they were happy to share it.