Sleep Sacks

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Cjoy, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Cjoy

Cjoy Well-Known Member

My guys are 9 months and still using sleep sacks for both naps & bedtime. As we get into summer months I will need to purchase new ones if I am going to continue using them, as the current ones are fleece and will soon be too small.

I have tried a nap or two without them, and they seemed too 'free' and didn't sleep as well.

How many of you are still using them, or how long did you use them and was the transition (to not using them) easy?

2. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

We still use them at night at 21 months! I like knowing that they are warm and cosy and we rarely have cries for a blanket in the middle of the night; they have an additional light blanket to ease them into the transition to duvets. I think sleep sacks are worth the investment until they can recover themselves with a blanket or duvet properly.
    We never used sleep sacks for naps just light blankets which works well, but I usually lie down cuddling with the babies until they are asleep (and often end up napping with them if I do not have to dial into the office).

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We used them until about 8-8.5 months, when we switched to footie pajamas for fall and winter. Our guys didn't have any problem transitioning, but then again, they didn't STTN until 9.5 months.

4. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

We stopped around 7-8 months as well. They didnt care. They like their blankets. They know how to cover themselves with blankets when its cold. I dont worry they are cold because they always wear bodysuits inside then clothes outside and socks. And I am always make sure their room temp is between 70-73.

5. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We used them till the girls were 3.5 -- years, not months. :ibiggrin: They could walk fine in the infant/toddler ones with no foot holes, but when they outgrew those, we bought the ones with foot holes.

We actually still have them (in size 4/5) and they fit my 5.5-year-olds pretty well, but once they really figured out how to sleep under blankets (which took awhile), they didn't want the extra bulk of the sleep sack anymore.

6. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

We used them (for nap and overnight) until they transitioned into beds, so up until about 2 1/2. We never had the ones with foot holes, they were perfectly happy without them.

They didn't have any problems with the transition.

7. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My guys are almost 2 and still wearing sleep sacks. I have no intention of giving them up until we switch to regular beds. We have the ones with foot holes in them; a lightweight one for summer and a heavier one for winter. Definitely worth the investment in my book!

8. Sarah75

Sarah75 Well-Known Member

13 months and still using them and plan to use them for as long as possible ! at nap time they have a blanket but its more for comfort though.

9. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I used them with my oldest until he moved to his "big boy" bed just before he turned 2 and I plan to do the same with the girls...although I think they'll be in their cribs longer than he was :). I have lightweight ones for summer so I use them year round. The transition for my DS was easy since it coincided with him having new sleeping arrangements although it took him a while to figure out how to cover himself with his blankets!

10. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

we are finally not using them, probably used until 2.5 years. yep they can walk fine in them!

what I recommend is getting a large size, like the 24 mo. size... that way if you do end up using them for a long time, they will still fit!

(if you are handy with a sewing machine, you can just cut the bottom seam and sew on an extra 6-12" on the bottom to lengthen it and not mess with having to the zipper or arm holes etc.)

One that we had was very well used and I actually did have to buy another $2 zipper and sewed it on top... anyway, I LOVED our sleep sacks yet didn't want to have a small fortune in them, so we just kept using our original ones!

OH, and the best benefit of the sleep sacks is that it helped keep the kids INSIDE their cribs for many months... they couldn't hike their legs up and over the crib like if they didn't have the sack on...

they are winners!

11. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

We stopped about 11 months. They were just climbers, especially Jude. And she kept getting hung up on it and falling face first down the side of the crib rails and screaming bloody murder. She could run in that thing - she would pick it up like a dress little bratty. Anyway, they still don't like their blankets on so footy pajamas and onesies have always been our friend. :) I would use them as long as you could...I think they are great invention.

12. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

I wish they made sleep sacks in my size LOL! ITs like a snuggie for babies!

13. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHA - this cracked me up. Admit it - you own a snuggie!

14. Anneke

Anneke Well-Known Member

Mine are still wearing sleep sacks at night. They have no blanket or duvet and I think it is kind of sad, but they don't mind at all. They sometimes move(d) around like crazy while sleeping and I never wanted to risk them being 'caught' in their blanket or duvet. (I got caught once as a little girl and I still remember it, so it must have been scary.)

15. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

I WISH! Still don't have one but TRU has them on clearance for 4.99 so I may have to order one LOL

16. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

We only stopped using the sleep sacks right around when they turned 2 because they were unzipping them at that point. Then we switched to the toddler beds since they started climbing as well. If they hadn't started unzipping them, they would still be in sleep sacks in their cribs.

17. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ummm, I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum. We used them for all of three months, then footie pajamas.

18. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

we will be 3 next wed and we still use them (they run 90% in size)... i hoped to keep them in the sleep sac until they get in their big boy bed... BUT, last night Nate woke me as i think he is getting too big for the XL his leg was cramped... no sleep sac maybe why we move to big boy beds.. I could never “tuck” blankets into a crib mattress properly

Elizabeth

19. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

another way to extend the use of the sleep sacks... you can turn them around backwards, so they can't unzip (as easily...) then when they figure that out, I heard another momma here say that she put them on inside out and backwards! I wish I'd figured that out!!

if you want to keep in cribs w/o tents for a long time I totally recommend them!

20. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

I use sleep sacks religiously for naps and night time!
    We wrapped/swaddled the girls until they were 6 months and then moved them to sleep sacks.
    At just over 1 yr, I have only ever tried a couple of times without the bags and it wasn't pretty lol!
    I have a few, with different thicknesses and the bubs recognise that putting them on means its sleep time.
    Don't fix it if it isn't broken!