Sleep Sack or blankets ?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Sarah75, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Sarah75

Sarah75 Well-Known Member

My girls are 19 months and have used sleeps sacks for the last year.
    My question is now that it is colder what do your children in ?
    I love the sleeps sacks and not sure if they are old enough to use blankets...any advice ?

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We've been using blankets since at least 6 months, if not earlier, with no problem. :) I think blankets are fine to use. :)

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At about 18 months I stopped worrying about blankets. Mine can run, walk, turn, stop, jump & crawl. I think the risky time is pretty much past for SIDS, so we gave them each a blanket & pillow. Mine don't keep their blankets on, though, so I dress them warmly for bed each night.

4. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

They are old enough to use blankets, so if you want to give them blankets I'm sure it's fine. But mine all stayed in sleep sacks until they transitioned to beds (at over 2 yrs old). I love sleep sacks, it's nice to know that however much they wiggle around they are properly covered up. We had thicker sleep sacks for when it was colder and if it got really cold they could wear a long-sleeved vest as well as long sleeved pyjamas to keep their arms warm. There's no reason to switch out of sleep sacks if you don't want to. :)

5. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We started blankets around 18 months as well.

6. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We used sleep sacks until they were at least 3 because we liked them. Around 3-3.5 they stopped wanting to wear them. We also gave them blankets starting around a year (they were born in November so it was just starting to get cold again), but they didn't really use them until they were 3 or 4!

7. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Mine are 18months. I dress them in winter sleepers and thy have their blankets in teir cribs. Mine have been using blankets since hmm u don't remember but very young. My twins are very attached to their blankets though. I think yours should be fine with blankets. If you are worried and still want to try out blankets, lol use a thin ones and cut many holes see How they will do...

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We went with blankets by that age, I bought the footie thick warm jammies for winter and put blankets on them. I checked on them before bed and tucked them back in if necessary.

9. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Mine are also still in sleep sacks. They like a blanket to snuggle when going to sleep but move around far too much to stay under it. We have thin summer, internediate and really thick winter sleep sacks for them. With long PJs those are warm anough for sleeping with open windows even in severe frost. The large sleep sacks are pricey though, especially the really warm ones.

10. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

We used toddler sleepsacks until they were 2.5 and moved into twin sized beds. Mine wouldn't keep a single blanket on and were waking during the night because our house is drafty and chilly in winter. Sleepsacks made for peacefully sleeping babies here! :D

11. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

Yikes ok mother of the year here lol Our twins have had a blanket from day one. They used then in the NICU. The twins had a hard time maintaining their temps even after we came home. So starting in the nicu they would be swaddled then put together then a recieving blanket would be layed on top and tucked around them. We did that until they moved til their own cribs at 5 months then they had their own blanket in their bed. My twins have always been super serious about their sleep. Up until they could crawl they would be in the same spot we put them at night the next morning. Now as far as sleep sacks I love them. They make me giggle. Willa Grace and Wyatt still try and walk wearing them and its funny. Also our house is older and isn't super well insulated so when it starts to drop down into the 30's or 40's at night they get both a sleepsack and a blanket.

1 person likes this.
  12. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Did you know they have toddler sleepsacks that have legs? I LOVED them!

13. Sarah75

Sarah75 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the input. One more question, where does everyone buy there sleepsacks ? I hate to buy 4 (2 each) at $25..thats expensive to me...any good websites ?
    thanks

14. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

do you have any current sleepsacks?? maybe they are "just" to short??

do you know anyone with a sewing machine?? you can just cut the bottom seam off and get some fleece from the store and just add about 12" to the bottom and sew it up again from the inside. very simple if you know anyone who sews. and BINGO you don't have to spend $25 x 4!!!

other idea is that BRU typically has a buy 1 get 50% off... which at least is 25% off of 2.

good luck! I used the ones we had which were 12-18mo. ones I think for a very long time, well after 24 mo. after I lengthened them. If yours have outgrown the neck/armholes then you might just need to see if that same seamstress can widen that for you too! You can never get much $$ for any used sleepsacks anyway, so you might as well modify what you have.

15. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

I plan to keep using sleep sacks until we switch them to toddler beds. My guys move around so much in their sleep that they would kick any blanket off of them. Plus, its a huge sleep signal for them. Once we put them on the boys, they start walking towards the stairs to go to their room. It's adorable watching E walk and C crawl in them!

I try to buy them from BRU when they have the buy 1 get one 50% off. I also keep an eye on babysteals.com, but I haven't been able to get any from there yet. I've also seen them randomly at TJ Maxx.

16. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I bought sleep sacks from BRU as well. I also waited until sales, by one get 50% off or when I had 20% off coupon. My kids used sleep sacks until they were about 19 months old. Then they started unzipping them off, so we just went to blankets and they did well with that.

17. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

never used sleep sacks - mine started getting a little crocheted blanket (that they still sleep with!) at 6 mos...we used footie pj's when it would get cold - but my kids are hot babies!!! Easiest way to calm my fussies when they were really little - take off their socks/undershirt etc...

18. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

We did the same thing. At 28 months now they still don't know to cover up with their blankey when it gets cold, so I'm still buying "blanket sleepers" with footies from thechildrensplace.com for winter months (and the cotton "stretchie" footed sleepers for spring and summer). Our boys would never keep socks on so 2 piece pajamas weren't an option. I really love TCP sleepers too, when I'm able to buy them on sale. The other week I was able to buy them for $7 each ($10 - 30%), and over the weekend they were $8 - 20% discount, so a little over $6. And I just sold several used 18M TCP fleece sleepers on Craigslist for $3, so I think they hold their value better than other brands. And they are so darn soft, I just love them!

19. NicoleLea

NicoleLea Well-Known Member

I agree with most of the other posters...blankets should be fine. We used blankets from the time our girls came home from the hospital! (They were preemies though and we did swaddle them for awhile.) We just used the smaller blankets when they were little and got bigger ones as they grew.

20. SeattleLisa

SeattleLisa Well-Known Member

I always put my first two in sleep sacks, until they were potty training just before age three. But I've totally gotten lazy with the second two, just PJs and a blanket (which never stays on) and we turn up the heat in their room this time of year. We've been doing blankets for at least several months now.

21. Lindala25

Lindala25 Well-Known Member

I put mine in fleece sleepers and then run a smaller heater in their room. I turn it on or off in the night as I need to when I go in to feed them. I have an older house and can't adjust heat in each room so having a kid safe little heater works well.

22. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I wouldn't necessarily worry about blankets being a hazard at that age... but keeping them on for warmth is a different story... our house is fairly cold too, and I did sleep sacks that year before they were 2 yr old. this last year I think when they were closer to 2.5 yrs old I put a big blanket on them and they kept it on... but during the summer when I put a light/small blanket on them, they always kick it off...

23. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

Same here!
    I have used sleep sacks since the twins were about 6 months old and will use them for as long as I can. We have a range of different sizes and thicknesses with thin ones for warm weather and lovely thick warm ones for the cold weather. We add long sleeves and sweaters if its really cold and I love knowing that their not going to be uncovered.

24. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

We also run a heater in the nursery. I know its a no-no, but we have it up a dresser out of reach (they are still in cribs) and it is a radiant heater with a little button on the bottom that will cause it to shut off if its turned off. And we have a smoke alarm in their room and one about 2 feet outside their door. Plus we have video monitors with excellent sound quality. So there, that's my reasoning! ;) We use this infrared radiant heater and plug it into this programmable thermostat which works great. The heater is extremely quiet so it doesn't make noise turning on like a ceramic heater does. And the thermostat allows us to turn the house heat down to 68 but still keep their room around 71. We have that thermostat set to like 65 during the weekdays while they are the nursery, so the heater doesn't run at all then. I love that thermostat!

25. Feydruss

Feydruss Active Member

We tried sleep sacks, but the boys just hated them. They're kickers. So we've done blankets since about 6m. The last time I tried to put one of them in a sleep sack (a BRAND NEW ONE btw) he literally kicked a hole right through it within five minutes. Tore it completely.