skiing under 5

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by 1stbabies, Feb 26, 2014.

1. 1stbabies

1stbabies Well-Known Member

Hi all,

We only have our 2 girls. I wonder if it is too much to take them skiing at 4 yo  if only the 4 of us going? or should we just wait til 5 yo.

They have not been in the snow yet ...

Just wondering ... may be I start having the skiing bug again!

Thanks,

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have a friend who had her twins out on skis at 3. They're a huge outdoor family. I think a lot depends on your kids. As long as there's no pressure and you have a back up plan if they don't want to, then it can't hurt to try.

3. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

We started our twin boys skiing this winter.  They were 4 but have since turned 5.  My husband is teaching them and takes them one at a time since I have to stay home with our younger kiddos.  I think 4 (or even 3) is a great time to start and if you have one adult for each child, it is very manageable.  Some advice that we were given that has been very helpful is to keep the trips short, keep expectations low, encourage fun, and bring a snack or hit the snack bar afterward (snacks have a way of making anything fun for a kid!). Our boys have been skiing 5 times each this year and they can ski straight (my husband call this "french fry" because that is what the skis look like) and snow plow (calls this "pizza") down an easy adult hill by themselves with an adult very close by.

I should add, our boys can be whiners when it comes to being outside in the cold.  We don't get out in the snow very much either and we were concerned that they would HATE skiing.  Our experience has been the complete opposite, a pleasant surprise!   Good luck!!

4. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

We went skiing last winter when the kids were 5 and they had a great time. Our niece was just under 3 and she did really good too! We didn't take them up the lift, but just stayed on the bottom, but all three did really great and caught on pretty quick. My BIL and SIL love skiing so they were the ones doing most of the teaching, but they had ski lessons for young kids at the resort we were at. Jason did the best with it, but I think that's because he was the most into it. He probably could have gone up the lift in all honesty. 

5. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

I agreed that it depends on your family type: outdoor or indoor. We are outdoor lol. We went snow tubing beginning of this month. Guess what my husband and I were the one who wanted to leave first lol. They had a blast. So I say just try. If it doesn't go well, you just leave. Gl!