Skateboards

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by my2boys, Oct 22, 2009.

1. my2boys

my2boys Well-Known Member

Both the boys have decided they are asking Santa for a skateboard for Christmas. In a lot of ways I feel they are to young for skateboards and was wondering if anyone on here has a 6 year old or older who started around 6 with a skateboard. I guess I just have this all mighty fear of them trying to do stupid things on them and getting hurt. They both can ride their bikes without training wheels and both can ride their razors reasonably well. So, I guess I don't know what my huge hang up is. Just wondering from those out there who have already been there.

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Mine have them, we got them cheap ones from Target, and they really don't play with them that much. When they do, they pad up. They much prefer their roller blades to the skateboards.

3. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Timothy will be getting a skateboard for xmas and he'll be 6 in Jan., so count us in. He wants one and has asked for it. He was off of training wheels in 3 days and he does a great job on his scooter and skates. He just likes to keep challenging himself. We have a great driveway for it and we live on a cul-de-sac so he has room. I'm just dreading the year he asks for a ramp.

Marissa

4. 3Xblessed

3Xblessed Well-Known Member

My son has a cheapie but he practices with his dad's. He does really well and hasn't crashed yet. The only problem is that he doesn't weigh enough (6yrs old) to completely turn it by leaning. He has to pop it up to turn it.

If you do get them spend a little bit more and get one with good bearings so that the kids can turn and manipulate it. The target cheapies just don't work like a real skateboard. DS will be getting one for x-mas and we anticipate spending around $50 for it. My dh's cost $250.

5. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

A great present that will be a favorite for a long time! I second the getting a decent set of trucks and wheels. The ones they sell at Target have plastic bearings that seize up really fast. My boys have been skateboarding since they were about 2 (my husband bought them mini-boards for their first birthday). Here is a video of them this past summer (age 7):

My link

We started going to the skatepark when they were around 5, but most of their friends started coming when they were 6, and picked it up really quickly. I don't know if you have a local skatepark, but they are not what I'd expected. The kids at our local park are really encouraging and nice to the young kids, and, for the most part, keep their language clean.

Don't forget to get a pack of pads (wrist, elbow and knees) as well as a good helmet!

1 person likes this.
  6. momofangels

momofangels Well-Known Member

Make them wear pads.
    If they think that's a drag, they shouldn't be riding (b/c of the danger). And then they'll lose interest in skateboards.
    If they really love skateboarding, they'll wear the pads.

That's what I did, otherwise I'd be constantly worried that they'd really injure themselves, and by saying "NO!" I was making it into this huge battle of wills.

My problem now is saying "NO" to cell phones. It's not that I'm afraid of saying no, I just get so tired of hearing about it all the time.

7. my2boys

my2boys Well-Known Member

That is a great video Ellen. That's exactly how I picture Brendon being. He is such a dare devil and not afraid to try anything, even after falling and getting scraped up. We have had more bike crashes than I can count. Thanks, I think I just needed that little it'll be ok confidience.

8. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

Your boys are going to be so excited! Brendon sounds like a perfect fit for skateboarding :) Skateparks are the thing that have really pushed my boys to work at skateboarding: seeing the older kids doing cool things and wanting to be like them. The good thing about our local skate park is that they can't go in the gate without pads and a helmet. Anyway, here is a link with a list of parks in CO: CO skateparks link

Have fun!

9. whosermomma

whosermomma Well-Known Member

Elijah is 5, and we will probably get him one this year because he loves to play with his older brothers. They all love skateboarding and their dad even built a ramp and rail out in the back for them. However, they all have to pad up because even my own husband has already gotten hurt! LOL! He's 35 and still loves to play with them! I do have funny pictures of that but he would KILL me...