similac alimentum how to get off?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by w101ttd, Nov 3, 2010.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Ok at 6months check up, we got approval to switch from alimentum to advance early shield. My boy refused advance. They are drinking expressed breast milk and alimentum. How can I switch them to advance now? They like ebm the most, then alimentum. I hate that stuff, stinks!!! I don't care about the cost.I just hate the smell.

Do you have any advice how to get off that stuff? Thanks

2. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

You just mix a little of the new stuff with it and slowly add more and less of the Alimentum until you've switched entirely.

We went from Alimentum to Gerber Good Start at 6 months and we had no issues. All of the Good Start formulas have comfort proteins that are partially broken down so we figured it would make the switch easier.

3. traciwinkler

traciwinkler Well-Known Member

Did you ever try Good Start first, then go to Alimentum? I'm asking because we were on Good Start first, but DS couldn't take it. Our pediatrician thought that he may be lactose intolerant. We are now on Alimentum, and I agree it STINKS to high heaven! I have a lot of pre-made Good Start here that I could save instead of give away if you recommend it to wean off Alimentum. I just thought that if DS didn't like Good Start now, he wouldn't like it later.

4. w101ttd

My twins were on neosure at first. Then the boy switched to enfamil gentlease because of gas. He didn't like it either. So doc put him on alimentum since then.my dd got bad reflux so we switched her to alimentum as well. They are doing well with breast milk and alimentum.but they don't like alimentum that much even they still drink it.so we are trying to switch to regular formula now.our pedi recommended similac advance. So I gave the boy advance bottle, he refused it.so we are back to alimentum hmmm. I will mix 2 scoops of alimentum and 1 advance tonight, well see what happens. Thanks

5. christy.fisher

No, we didn't try Good Start first. I didn't know much about any formula in the beginning but they came home from the hospital on NeoSure. Over the months, I read more about different formulas. Good Start has whey proteins, and most others have casein proteins. From what I understand, protein sensitives are more prevalent with casein but I could be wrong.

w101ttd: I would bet that your doctor recommended Similac Advance because his office probably has an arrangement with Similic. My pedi does and always suggested Similac products or gave us samples of Similac products. And most hospitals work the same way with the formula they supply in the hospital. It doesn't mean that it is the only option. A comparable formula to Similac Advance is Enfamil Premium Lipil. You could try that.

Mostly what I've discovered with any formula, as well as food, is that you have to try it more than once. Don't give up if they won't drink it the first time that you give it to them. Usually, if I was trying a different formula, I gave it in the mornings when they were ravenous or when they were almost asleep and would drink anything you put in their mouths. Then they don't fight as much.

6. w101ttd

Oh thanks a lot. I didn't know all of that..I'm trying to get them off alimentum but I'm nervous too.they are doing good on this stinky stuff though. I try similac I also have lipil too.I will try .right now I mix 1 scoop advance with 2 alimentum in 6oz water.well see how it goes.thanks again

7. christy.fisher

That's a good way to start! I hated Alimentum but it worked well for Claire so they both drank it. We were very glad to stop it both for the expense and the smell! :)