Silly question about pull-ups

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by miss_bossy18, Jun 4, 2011.

1. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Are pull-ups interchangeable with diapers? I mean, are they as absorbent? The girls are starting to do pretty good with pottying while awake, but nap times are a bit dicey & they definitely aren't ready for night training yet. So I bought some pull-ups & told them they're special underwear, just like their regular panties, and that they need to use the potty when they have to go to the bathroom when wearing the pull-ups just like their undies, but if there is an accident there's less for me to clean. I'm hoping this will get them thinking about using the potty during sleep times though.

2. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

We never used them during bedtime, but they wear them when we go out and they're pretty absorbent. I've never had issues with leaking. We still treat them like special undies(we call them paper unnies.) and they can feel when they are wet, but it's not going to leak all over the floor which is a life saver!!!

3. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

We used them with DS at bedtime because potty training him seemed to take forever. ;) there were a few leaks, but we were having alot of issues with leaky diapers at about that same time as well.

4. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

We bite the bullet and buy the pull ups overnights. They are more expensive, but I've only had one or two leaks, and that is because they'd getup to go to the bathroom and the pull up wouldn't get back on right.

During naps, we used just regular pull ups and never had a problem.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When my DD was PT-ing, she did not soak through the pull ups at nap time and bedtime. I did put a maxi pad in the pull up for overnight just in case.

6. dezmitch

dezmitch Well-Known Member

My daughter is PTing right now and she wears pull ups at night -- sometimes she is dry, and sometimes she is not. They seem absorbent for the times that she has gone in them...it seems that within the past few weeks I'm seeing more and more dry pullups when she awakes in the morning :D

7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

They are not quite as absorbent as diapers, but they do pretty good. I used them with my older kids for nap/bedtime and some mornings they would wake up damp, but not soaking wet. I tried to limit liquids before bed so they didn't end up leaking all over the place!

8. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

We've had a couple of leaky pullups overnight, but it's been rare. They hold quite a bit.

9. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I only ever used pullup over nights and found them just as absorbant as a diaper. One thing I wanted to suggest since you said you wanted to get them thinking about using the potty during sleep times. We had a lot of success, waking up our girls before we would go to bed and taking them to the potty. So potty right before they go to bed, then be set on the potty 2 to 3 hours after they had gone to bed. They almost always peeded at least a little when I sat them still half asleep on the potty.