silent reflux

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rhc0607, Dec 17, 2009.

1. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

I have been reading another post about feeding issues and the possibility of silent reflux. It really got me thinking about Spencer and his feedings. Since about 3 months my boys have been taking 7-8oz regularly. For about the past 2-3 weeks Spencer has been takining 3-4oz. and then arching his back and screaming for no reason. He will start crying hysterically for a few seconds then calm down and take the bottle again. I have to burp him after 4oz. and it sounds like formula comes back up when he burps, but doesn't come out of his mouth. Also for the past 2-3 weeks he has only gained about 3-4oz. of weight and he has a little cough, but not like a sick cough. I did some researching and realized these are all signs of silent reflux. He had major reflux at about 3 weeks old, but switching formula cleared that up. Now these symptoms have shown up in the past few weeks. I put in a call to my ped. and waiting to hear what they want to do.

Thank you ladies!! :grouphug: I don't know how long this would have gone on without reading and getting information from another post! :thanks:

1 person likes this.
  2. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Yay! Glad the other thread helped. I hope it helps others as well. Reflux is just miserable and frustrating for everyone involved.

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

So glad we could ALL help. :hug: Glad you made the call. :good:

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Good for you for recognizing the symptoms & calling the ped! Let us know what you find out. :hug:

5. becky5

becky5 Guest

:hug: Let us know what the ped says!

6. rhc0607

heading to the ped. tomorrow for a weight check and discuss silent reflux.

7. rhc0607

Whew! So glad we went to the pedi. today! Spencer's weight has plateaued and from all they symptoms I gave to the doctor he checked him out and said that he does have silent reflux. He prescribed Prevacid, but said that it would be a few days before we saw any difference.

Also, Spencer just started having a cold 2 days ago and the dr. checked that out too. Low and behold he is slightly wheezing and was given a nebulizer treatment in the office. We also got sent home with a nebulizer and prescription for albuterol!

Who knew?!

Thanks again ladies!

8. becky5

becky5 Guest

Oh wow Holly, I'm glad you took him in! BTW, a cold can aggravate the reflux further. Hope he is feeling better soon.

9. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

So glad to hear you got the meds! Remember if it doesn't get better in a week or so, to go back and get a higher dose. :hug: to sweet Spencer!