Sick babies

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by mnm000, Feb 8, 2011.

1. mnm000

mnm000 Well-Known Member

Well, we apparently officially have a stomach bug (the kids, not me... yet). It started out with my gaggy child (who pukes rather normally), I thought no biggy, but instead of a random vomit, it's continued, and now his twin is puking too.

It just breaks my heart to see their bellies so upset. What can I do for them? Anything?

I nursed them, and we just weaned using a DODR method (and some redirection), we had gone 3 days without nursing. Well, I nursed them before their nap this afternoon. With at much as the one has been heaving, I was afraid to even offer this evening.

Tell my your BTDT stories, what helped?!

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would offer them foods that are gentle on their stomachs (toast, scrambled eggs, popsicles, applesauce, yogurt) and keep pushing fluids (like pedialyte, water, etc.). I hope they feel better soon :hug:

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If you continue nursing I'd try it as much as they want- they need fluids and BM is soo good with the antibodies.

4. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

Get better soon! Hang in there mamma, you sound like you are doing the right things.

5. kgar

kgar Well-Known Member

If they're vomiting a lot (multiple vomiting episodes an hour), don't give them anything - even fluids - because their stomach and bowels need to rest. If you give them anything, they'll just throw it right back up. You're not accomplishing anything by trying to hydrate them during this period. When the vomiting slows down (one vomiting episode every hour or two), start giving tiny amounts (1 teaspoon or small sips) of fluid - preferably pedialyte or breastmilk - every 10 or 15 minutes. When they're able to keep those small amounts down, slowly increase the fluids. No solid food at all until they've gone quite a long time (I usually wait 8 to 12 hours) with no vomiting. Then only give BRAT foods (banana, rice, applesauce, toast) for at least 24 hours.

6. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Definitely stick with BRAT for a little bit. Once they begin holding down food, then start slowly introducing their regulars back into their diet.

7. mnm000

mnm000 Well-Known Member

Awww, thanks for the support guys. Last night was rough, but I think we've turned the corner - gone 7 hours now with now vomiting! Last night one of my sons was just so sick. He was so sick, and then just beg for water. It was heartbreaking! As soon as we gave him water, even in the tiniest sips, he'd get sick. So to control the quantity of water, I ended up giving him one of those mesh feeders with an ice cube in it. So that is my helpful tip of the day.

I also nursed him... but I saw alot of it coming back up. He's down for a nap, so I guess once he gets up we'll start with some crackers...

Thanks again!

8. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry your LOs are so sick; I hope they're feeling better soon! There's nothing worse than watching your kids get sick and not being able to do much for them. :hug: