Shower or bath?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by eagleswings216, Mar 6, 2015.

1. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

My boys turned 5 in December.  They have expressed an interest in showering rather than a bath.  Are they too young?  What age did your kids start showering?

They take separate baths because it's just too crowded for both in there now.  I pour the shampoo and soap and they lather up and then I check to make sure they rinsed well.  I worry about turning them loose and could see them pouring soap and shampoo all over the place in the shower.  They also both still like to have a few minutes to "play" before they wash off in the tub.

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We do showers here. We bought a new house in may, so annabella was a month shy of 5 when we moved in. Boys were 6.5. Found out when going to give first bath, the tub didn't work. So shower it was!

Boys do it all on their own. The first few times, we'd supervise/help. Now they are fine on their own. Annabella I still help because she has long thick hair and I need to make sure she washes it.

It's a whole lot easier once showers come into play. N will take a long one, Anthony will take a quick one, and annabella will sing and dance in there lol. I will say though, it's another milestone on this path of growing up.

3. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

my younger two started showers at 5 ISH. Oldest was 6 ISH and like Meaghan that was due to a new house and a tub that wouldn't plug to take a bath  :huh:

4. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

OH, and they do NOT shower together or no showering would be done... they would treat it as in indoor water park  :rolleyes:

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh ya, no showering together here either!

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My two are 7 1/2 and they sporadically take showers.  They would prefer to take baths, I prefer that they take showers though, baths take so friggin long.

7. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I think mine were about 5 or 6 when they started taking showers.

8. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We do both here... if we have time, I'll do a bath. If we don't, showers.

9. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Sounds like we'll give it a try and see how it goes.  And definitely separate showers - they would go crazy in there together!!

10. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Same here.

11. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We switch it up depending on time and (my) energy and (their) preference. I bought pump bottles for our shampoo and conditioner when they started showering and explained they only needed ONE pump of each to get clean. So far they've stuck to that and haven't made a mess. I always double check they've rinsed adequately though - they often don't get all the conditioner out. :) My girls shower together and once all the "business" is done they'll stay in and play until the water gets cold. :laughing: Unless anyone else needs a shower, then they're told in advance it'll just be a quick shower so that there's enough hot water for everyone.

12. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

mine are nearly 9 and have been showering since 6 without issues...of course they were bathing from 4 on by themselves without issue also...

13. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Mine started showering around 3 or 4.  We started swim lessons, and they would shower after, and at home they preferred it as well.  They will take baths on occasion, even now at 12.5, but it has been mostly showers for a long time.

14. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Same here.  Usually during the week it is a shower and some weekends they get a bath.  My son can pretty much shower alone, we just check the water temp and turn it off and on for him.   But my daughter needs some assistance washing and conditioning her hair.

15. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We do showers-usually my girls together and then my son...only because all three together is too crazy.  They can mostly do everything on their own, and it's much faster than a bath.

16. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

We've been doing showers here since about 5. They do it themselves these days. Leaning over to give them a bath was starting to hurt my back, plus it took forever. So that's when we switched to showers. We do have a handicap shower head that we installed upstairs for them so that they can reach the shower head. Plus our shower heads are really high and they hated that.