Should I wake them in the morning?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by kellytwinmom, Apr 1, 2008.

1. kellytwinmom

kellytwinmom Well-Known Member

My girls are pretty good about eating every 3 hours. Of course some of the growth spurt weeks or at evening time they want to eat more but on a regular day its pretty much every 3 hours.

However, I can never make any plans (I just want to get my haircut! I haven't been able to do that since Sept, because I was on bedrest in Oct.) or know what the next day is going to look like because maybe every day starts out at a different time. Should I wake them (lets say its been 2 hours instead of 3) to start a routine wake up time?

I just keep hearing "never wake a sleeping baby" in my head.

2. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

How old are they? If they are less than 3 months, I personally wouldn't wake them unless they are sleeping more during the day than at night.

3. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Kelly,

I have never woken my girls to start a morning routine. It would be more convenient for me, but I figure if they're sleeping, they need it. By about six or seven months they were in a routine of waking up at almost exactly the same time every morning, so I was able to plan based on that.

I'm not sure how old your twins are, but hang in there... it gets better and you will be able to start planning soon!

4. Queen of Carrots

Queen of Carrots Well-Known Member

I haven't tried this with twins, yet, but with my previous two babies I found I had more luck working on getting them to bed at the same time every night, and eventually they would settle into a similar wake-up time every morning. (And now that they're three and two I still refuse to wake them up in the morning. I figure the longer they sleep, the better for me. ;) Somehow it's never quite long enough.)

They will eventually spend less time napping and you'll have longer chunks of time to plan around!

5. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Kellytwinmom @ Apr 1 2008, 11:24 PM) [snapback]700307[/snapback]
    I just keep hearing "never wake a sleeping baby" in my head.

I'd say NO NO NO never wake a sleeping baby haha.. Maybe make afternoon appointments until they are a little older

6. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

I woke mine at 8:15 every morning of their lives. Sometimes they would eat and fall back asleep, but it was the key to getting on a schedule!

7. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how old your babes are but when mine were about three months old, I asked myself the same question. I never did do it though, I couldn't wake them when they were so peacefully sleeping. :rolleyes: BUT when they were about 4/5 months they started doing it on their own. They started waking up at 7 AM everyday {give or take a half hour} My advice is to let them sleep, since they apparently need it and a routine will work itself out. I hope you get your haircut soon. {OR wake them up on the one day you have an appt. :pardon: }

8. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

In my experience, waking up babies = cranky babies. There have been occasions that I've had to wake them, and it's not fun!
    M singleton is 4 months old and the twins manage to wake her every morning because they are so loud. I always feel bad because she is clearly still tired. But, I can understand where you're coming from. It's hard being on the "wing it" plan all the time!

Good luck and let us know how it goes if you try it!

9. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wish this was an issue for me-I have never had to worry about waking my babies-they are always up at the crack of dawn-same with my 3yo-she has never slept past 7am! What am I doing wrong????

10. SeattleLisa

SeattleLisa Well-Known Member

Occasionally if one is sleeping much longer than the other we will open their door and start slowly letting some noise, light, etc. into the room. Maybe start changing the diaper of the baby that's awake, etc. - so that they gradually wake up, but it's not as abrupt as if we picked them up out of a sound sleep.

11. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

Mine have always woken up around the same time in the morning after about mo3 or so we have gotten up at 7 am everyday. I say if they are usually waking between 7 and 8 then it wouldn't be bad to wake them by 7:30 or so if they are still asleep. If the times very even more, then you might want to wait unitl they are more consistent.

12. kellytwinmom

kellytwinmom Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of your replies! I just realized my ticker is showing their age...sorry! They are 2 months and a week old, almost 6 weeks adjusted. I know a little early to be worrying about any routines or schedules at this point but wasn't sure if it was something I should be thinking about starting.

I also should have said that they are starting to sleep a little longer at night which throws off the 3 hour schedule.

Tomorrow I have a hair appt. at 1, so I am going to try to feed them at 9, 12 and then be able to feed them when we come back. I guess for everything else we will just have to be flexible!

13. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I remember that frustration, but I still wouldn't wake them until at least 4 months. They need all the sleep they can get. Plus, waking them up is more likely to lead to cranky babies. Try to be patient -- they will show you what their schedule is eventually.

14. dreasis

dreasis Member

I have been waking my babies every morning at 6:30 since they were 3 mo as I needed them on a schedule for me going back to work. They now wake up mostly on their own and will play in the bed until about 6:30 before they want out. Sometimes I will need to wake one, but they always wake up cheerful and ready to eat. This made it so much easier to schedule our day!! GL

15. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

almost 6 weeks adjusted. I know a little early to be worrying about any routines or schedules at this point but wasn't sure if it was something I should be thinking about starting.

No way Jose! :lol: Schedules are popular with some parents, but babies totally don't need them. If you just feed them when they're hungry and let them sleep when they're tired, they'll create their own "schedule" in time. You're doing great, keep up the good work! (And enjoy your visit to the hairdresser! :) )

16. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

QUOTE(fuchsiagroan @ Apr 2 2008, 06:22 PM) [snapback]701750[/snapback]
    No way Jose! :lol: Schedules are popular with some parents, but babies totally don't need them. If you just feed them when they're hungry and let them sleep when they're tired, they'll create their own "schedule" in time. You're doing great, keep up the good work! (And enjoy your visit to the hairdresser! :) )

Precisely. Schedules are overrated for brand new babies!! I agree with Fuschia (once again..) Babies need to be babies!!! Schedules come later- 4 months MINIMUM!! I would NOT wake a baby in the morning and agree with pp that if anything (not YET tho), schedule the bedtime and the wake up will fall into place. At 14 weeks adjusted (to the day) my ID's started going to bed at six SHARP and waking at 6:30 am-- all on their own.. It will work itself out.. it always does:)

Take care and have fun! (Ya right! easy for me to say- mine are 6 months now)

:)