Should I wake him

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by iluvpugs44109, Jan 4, 2008.

1. iluvpugs44109

iluvpugs44109 Well-Known Member

Augh, my ds has been sleeping terribly the last few days. We have a later sleep schedule. Our routine is bath (every other night) at about 7:00-7:30, then lotion, pj's, dim the lights, swaddle and they relax in our arms or bouncy seat/swings till their last night feeding which is about 10. So they are usually sleeping but not actually in their cribs till about 10-11. Sean was up fussing till about 12:30 am until I decided (after picking him up and cuddling 3 different times) he would have to sleep with us. He ate at 5:15 am and he is still asleep.

Should I wake him or let him sleep till he decides to get up? He really isn't a great napper either. I know he needs his sleep but I don't want him up again like last night.

Your thoughts?

2. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I would wake him, try to keep his day time snoozes a bit shorter. This sleep stuff with twinfants is tough!!!

3. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Nancy C @ Jan 4 2008, 04:03 PM) [snapback]557277[/snapback]
    I would wake him, try to keep his day time snoozes a bit shorter. This sleep stuff with twinfants is tough!!!

I sort of disagree. I never found that keeping my kids awake during the day helped at night...in fact the opposite was always true for me...the more they napped (at that age) the better they slept at night. I would wake him at whatever time you want your day to start... I dont' know what time you wrote the post. But as far as napping during the day, let him nap as much as he wants to. If he sleeps more than 1.5 hours then you can wake him for his next feeding.

4. iluvpugs44109

iluvpugs44109 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Susanna+3 @ Jan 4 2008, 11:18 AM) [snapback]557304[/snapback]
    I sort of disagree. I never found that keeping my kids awake during the day helped at night...in fact the opposite was always true for me...the more they napped (at that age) the better they slept at night. I would wake him at whatever time you want your day to start... I dont' know what time you wrote the post. But as far as napping during the day, let him nap as much as he wants to. If he sleeps more than 1.5 hours then you can wake him for his next feeding.

He was up from 5:15 to 6:30am and then slept till a little after 11. I fed him when he woke and he's up now. I have a feeling he'll be up again pretty late.

Do you think putting them in their crib around 8 would be better then feeding them again at 11 ? We did a trial dream feed on New Years eve and they woke more to eat when I did that. I don't know which is better putting them to bed or letting them sleep with us downstairs.

5. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

I think at 3 months you can start to put them in at 8 and take your chances with a night fed, when they wake. It might be late, say 1-2 am but you night start to wean them off that way. Also I would have just let him sleep too. No amount of waking during the day helped my little ones sleep better at night either. :hug99: I hope it gets better soon.

6. mar66rus2

mar66rus2 Well-Known Member

I would let him sleep. It doesn't make a difference with my babies. I never woke them after 8P to feed them again. If they get hungry they will wake to feed. Now they are both sleeping through the night :)

April

7. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

I would have let him sleep to, but for what it's worth, when we moved bedtime up to 7 instead of 10, the babies have slept a whole lot better in general, both during the day and night. It seems when they are overtired it is actually harder for them to get to sleep and stay asleep. So now we put them to bed at 7, dreamfeed at 10 and DS sleeps until 7:30, DD sometimes sleeps thru and sometimes is up at 4 for a bottle, then sleeps until I wake her at 7:30.