Should I stop taking baths?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by julesbabies, May 17, 2008.

1. julesbabies

julesbabies Well-Known Member

I have been reading about losing the mucos plug and I see that it is clear and even could be missed. Is it a good idea to stop taking baths at this point in case I "dont notice"that I may have lost my mucus plug. Is that possible? I dont know, just a thought. I was thinking about this while in the tub last night.

Any feedback on taking baths. (it is getting hard to get out of the tub too.)

2. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

Congrats to you for still being able to get in and out of the tub. I'm sure I gave that up around 26-28 weeks. I haven't lost my plug yet, but with my other four it was really obvious. I'm sure you be able to tell that something is different.

3. Cynthia3200

Cynthia3200 Well-Known Member

I could only take baths the last 4-5 weeks (I delivered at 35 weeks) I could not get in and out with dh's help though.

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My plug left me at about 32 weeks with the twins. It regenerates and really doesn't have too much to do with when your labor starts as far as *I* know. I called L&D and they were not concerned. I made it to my scheduled c-section at 38 weeks. My mucus plug was a little brown. I believe that some people never notice that they have lost it.

5. bebedoc

bebedoc Well-Known Member

I lost my plug at 33w with my DS and it was very obvious. That being said, I know you're concerned about not seeing it or knowing what it is should you lose it. Taking baths would be a concern for infection should you lose your plug early. Right?

I would definitely talk to your OB about it before continuing at this point as all OB's are different in their practice. However, for FYI, I had a cerclage at 13 weeks and took a bath the next day. I didn't think about it until afterwards so I mentioned it to my OB. My OB said they did studies that show the labia/vaginal canal/etc. all swell during pregnancy and essentially close off the path to the cervix so bathing is not a huge concern for infection.

6. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

I continued taking baths until the night before I went in to be induced at 38 weeks. My OB was fine with it as long as I made sure the water wasn't too hot.

7. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

with my singletons, I took tub baths all the way through, even hours before they were born. with the twins I could not get down in the tub after 20 or so weeks. it would have felt good but oh well!! I would ask your OB I imagine it is fine but in the mean time, just don't use really hot water! and if you can get in and get out - I would do it!