Should I introduce a 2nd solid meal?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by sbcowell, Aug 17, 2008.

1. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

I presently do one meal/day and the babies LOVE it (started solids about 3.5wks ago)! I feed them at lunch time, approx 4 small ice cubes worth of solid food to share 9so about 2 ice cubes each). I always feed them about 30min after bfing so as not to take away from the bm. They eat with no problems, taking in everything I give them - which so far has been mostly veggies. It is the quietest and happiest they are all day. So I am thinking about adding in another small meal - what do you guys think?
    I have not done cereal yet, so I am thinking about starting that in the morning with some fruit - maybe not everyday, but when we have time.

What do you guys think, I am planning to continue bfing, and I know they shouldn't be weaning yet, would a second meal interfere with bfing?

Thanks

2. SeattleLisa

SeattleLisa Well-Known Member

I think we added a second meal right around the age of yours. We started with dinner at 5 months, then added lunch at about 6.5 months, and then added a third meal for breakfast around 7-8 months. I don't think a second meal would interfere with BFing. Mine have three meals plus one or two snacks every day, and still get breast milk 5 times a day.

3. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

If they are tolerating it well then I don't think it would hurt to add a 2nd meal! It sounds like you're doing it just right.

4. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

As long as they're still nursing enough, the very est thing you can do is let them take the lead and follow their cues! If they're ready for more, go for it!

5. wymomoftwins

wymomoftwins Well-Known Member

My twins will be 7 months this week and we are doing cereal/fruit w/ bottle for breakfast, cereal w/ veggie and formula for lunch and mash potatoes/veggie/meat and fruit w/ formula for supper AND they get a few snack bottles of milk and one of juice in between meals and a bottle before bed! They are big eaters! Sometimes they eat all of that and some days they eat less. Let them guide you :D I think solids at this point is fine as long as they are getting enough bm or formula with it. My nurse told me they should be getting twice the formula for what they weigh so if they weighed 17 lbs then they should get 32 ounces of formula/bm.....

6. Zabeta

Zabeta Well-Known Member

I think as long as you're nursing 30 minutes or less before solids, you can add another meal without it causing any problems. Especially if it's a when-we-have-time kind of thing, which makes it more fun for you and less likely to impact your supply!

I found solids to be a huge pain, and adding each new meal really messed me up, so having a nice long practice period where I didn't feel like we had to have the new meal all the time was a big help.

Congrats on your happy, adventuresome babies!

7. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

I agree, if it works for all of you then go for it. Just keep an eye on diaper count if they seem to be getting less intersted in bfing with the added solids. And don't feel like you have to do it everyday, if some days you are tired and don't want to do solids don't worry!!!