short cervix/complete bedrest

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by FirstTimeMomma, May 3, 2011.

1. FirstTimeMomma

FirstTimeMomma Well-Known Member

Bad news..cervix went from 4 to 2 within a month and I am now at risk for PTL. Dr put me on strict bedrest..go back next week for checkup. On the bright side, one boy is 2lbs 3 oz and other is 2lbs.

2. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug: I'm sorry you are going through this.
    Have you gotten the steroid shots?

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had this around the same time. My cervix stayed the same and increased a bit. I did bedrest for about 4 days and had another scan which showed my cervix at the same length. I got the steroid shots and carried the boys until 37w5 day. :youcandoit:

4. FirstTimeMomma

Ty. No mention of meds, just to rest and come back next week. Maybe bc I dont have contractions and not under 2, they didnt see a need for shots. Hope next app im over 2

5. kcprochazka

kcprochazka Well-Known Member

I'll definitely say a few prayers! PTl is so scary - I hope your cervix is behaving for the next appt!

6. FirstTimeMomma

TY. I cant even describe how afraid I am that our boys will be too early. Up until now I have always been at 4 and did NOT expect to hear 2 so sudden!! I figured id have to go on BR but not this early and did not expect to hear im at risk for PTL. My next appointment is 5/11 and am praying it stays at 2 or has increased by then!

7. cheezewhiz24

It's a shock, isn't it? Take heart- many have made it through with big, healthy babies. You have to be diligent and thoughtful about getting up is all. :hug: Good for you for listening to your body and working to keep those babies in. :)

8. FirstTimeMomma

Another issue..im wondering if their weights are normal at this stage. One is 2 lbs and other is 2 lbs 3 oz..should they weigh more at 28 weeks?

9. summerfun

Keep in mind as well u/s weights can be off a bit too. I would keep up the protein to help keep their weights good. I would drink the Boost shakes when I was pregnant. When I was in the hospital on bedrest that is actually something the dr. ordered for me with every meal.

To give you some perspective my DS was born at 26w6d and weighed 2 lbs 7 oz.

1 person likes this.
  10. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

We are due on the same day and this baby weighed 2 pounds 2 ounces a week ago, he is my 6th baby and a singleton I think those weights sound just fine!!

Can I ask you a question? Did you have any symptoms that your cervix had changed? I have bad pressure down there at times and I always worry that I am missing something!

11. FirstTimeMomma

I started drinking Boost shakes recently and hope they fatten up the boys lol I didnt notice anything, no pressure or pain. Only difference has been a "snot" like discharge(no blood)

12. keirin

keirin Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat with you.

Last week I went in for a routine ultrasound at 28 weeks on the dot and everything looked great with the babies but when they checked my cervix I knew something was wrong immediately. They called the OB office I'm with (I was at a satellite office for the ultrasound because they have a better ultrasound machine) and the doctor on call had me sent to the hospital where they determined that I was NOT having contractions.

So I'm on modified bedrest for the near future for short cervix until my next appointment May 17th when they told me they would check me and perhaps re-evaluate. I honestly would rather be working for a few more weeks because I don't have the time off and I am going to start missing paychecks. But it's more important to keep these babies in longer.

On a side note, my boy was 2 lb 10 ounces and my girl was 2 lb 7 ounces according to the ultrasound at 28 weeks. Now I'm worried that mine are TOO big :D

13. betha

betha Well-Known Member

Hi, my cervix dropped to 6 mm at 24 weeks. I was having contractions, too. I was in the hospital, on every med in the book, and given steroid shots. I went home on strict BR and was in and out of the hospital multiple times. After 12 weeks of very strict BR, I made it to 36 weeks and delivered when my BP started going up. Yes, it's very scary to wonder if your twins will come early. I hope you will hang in there for much longer! I don't remember the weights on my twins anymore while they were in utero. When they were born, they were 5 and 5.5.

Hang in there!!

14. keirin

keirin Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear that getting to 36 weeks CAN BE DONE :)

15. momof6

momof6 Well-Known Member

My cervix had been at 3.6-4 and during one ultrasound showed 1.9cm. I was freaked out! So I was admitted overnight for observation, I wasn't even allowed to go home, I went straight next door to L&D. I was 26 weeks. The next day showed 2.4cm and no dilation. I was sent home. I had the steroid shots at 29 weeks with a positive Ffn and at 31 weeks was back in hosp with a cervix of 1.5 (1.7 depending on who measured)and 2 cm dilated. I stayed 5 days and went home on modified rest. I made it to 35 and 3 with Baby A weighing 5lbs 3 oz and Baby B 5 lbs. Just rest and drink a lot of water to keep contractions from coming, that is what will change the cervix quickly. I was also on procardia to stop contractions. Good luck!

16. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sorry to hear you are having some PTL issues, I hope things have slowed down for you. Keep us posted!

17. FirstTimeMomma

Got a good report today from my OB. Baby A went from 2lbs to 2lbs 8oz and baby B from 2lbs 3oz to 2lbs 13oz! They still have room and fluid and are looking great! Tomorrow is my big day to see how my cervix is holding up, will update asap.

18. FirstTimeMomma

Great news!! Cervix went up to 2.4! No hospital stay, at least for now.. I guess bedrest does really work LOL everything looks great. What im wondering though is baby A is in the 30th percentile and baby b is in the 40th..doctor says this is normal for twins at almost 29 weeks but from reading other womens reports, their twins are in the 70's or 80's. I know twins are smaller than singletons but I just have a feeling mine may be too small..idk, maybe im being too paranoid?

19. cheezewhiz24

Here is a question. How big were you and your DH when you were born? I'm wondering if you were smaller people at birth? Also, if you are worried, drink some Boost shakes and pack on the protein. :) Also remember as always, u/s measurements can and are often off.

20. FirstTimeMomma

I was 7lbs and hubby was 8lbs. We are both small framed. I was 135lbs(5'3)when I conceived(if that has anything to do with it lol) I am drinking 2 boost shakes daily and have been eating a lot of protein. Although I do admit to not having been eating a lot of protein up until recently.

21. summerfun

:clapping: I'm glad to hear your cervix has improved and no hospital stay is necessary, right now! As for you feeling like the babies are small, I think it's natural to worry and wonder if the babies are too small or too big. :hug: If the dr. isn't concerned that is good. Just keep taking it easy and keep up with the protein.