Shoe tieing?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Jill R., May 20, 2008.

1. Jill R.

Jill R. Well-Known Member

How old were your kids when they learned to tie their own shoes, and how did you teach them?

I'm soooo tired of having to not only tie Jack and Ally's shoes, but I have to put the shoes on them too. I know it's my fault for not making them do it before now, since it's just quicker for me to do it for them. However, I want them both to learn how to tie their laces over the summer so we're all set for next year.

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Most kids learn between K and the end of 1st. Mine still don't, and we actually don't have any tie shoes right now, but they do practice on drawstrings.

3. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I didn't even bother until they were close to the end of first grade. That's why we have velcro. I figure I could spend a whole bunch of time teaching them now (my girls, this time around), or just wait until they're older and it's easier like I did with my boys. I never expected the teacher to do it for them, so they never wore lace-up shoes to school until they could tie them. I'm just lazy like that. ;)

4. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Part of the girls Kindergarten ongoing practice was tying shoes. So, the girls have been tying shoes since the beginning of Kindergarten.

5. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Most of my students start kindergarten unable to tie their shoes. I only have a small handful left that cannot do it and school ends in one month. So like Sharon said, most kids learn between Kinder and first grades.

The best way: practice on a real shoe! They sell books with laces that are kind of fun. Or you can punch holes in the top of a shoebox and thread a lace through them so that they can practice. But a real shoe is easiest!

6. mich17

mich17 Well-Known Member

We're not there yet. We even bought tie shoes this time around with plans on teaching them. Boy, I sure do miss the velcro.

7. BGTwins97

BGTwins97 Well-Known Member

I think our kids learned just before they started kindergarten, but only because my DH was insistent that they do it for themselves. I was of the lazier mindset and would have let it go longer.

During late fall, their kindergarten teacher announced (with totally self-serving motives, she admits!) that when kids had mastered tying their shoes, they would get a special prize. By the end of the year, all of the kids except one were tying their shoes (and he, of course, got a prize for working hard at it).

8. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

Hayden and Brady learned in kindergarten this year. The teachers practiced with them and they learned it entirely at school.

I taught Jackson how to tie when he was in kindergarten. I taught him the two-bunny-ear method, and now I can't break him of the habit. He HATES tying his shoes and instead basically leaves them knotted and tries to wedge his foot into them.

9. Anna3

Anna3 Well-Known Member

Ethan knew how to tie his shoes before kindergarten - grandma tought him, as she tought my DD a long time ago when she was 4 too. Isaac, on the other hand, still needs help at the end of the first grade. It was part of their kindergarten skills to learn how to tie their shoes, and Isaac knows how, but it can't do it perfect yet.

10. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

Joel is almost done with second grade and can not do it. Due to his special needs, he does not have the fine motor skills to do it yet. He still uses velcro or slip on sneakers. The twins have to wear tie sneakers because they have orthodics in their shoes. I can see them learning soonm before Joel will ever get it. They find those kind of things a fun challege, Joel on the other hand finds them endlessly frustrating. :)

11. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

My boys can put on their own shoes, but still won't really try to tie them. I wish they'd teach them in school! No such luck. They just come home with untied shoes :(

12. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

drats, this reminds me to get DH to teach Berk to tie her shoes! LOL!

13. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

Caitlyn learned before K. Brianne and Hayley both learned a few months ago. Caitlyn and Brianne both learned to tie their robes first.

14. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

I'm happy to see this thread, my girls have been trying but still haven't mastered it. They just aren't interested enough because they have too many slip on shoes to wear instead I guess. DH has been driving me nuts though telling me he cannot believe I haven't taught them how to yet, he is sure every other child their age knows how. :rolleyes:

15. mmhzmom

mmhzmom Well-Known Member

My oldest learned around 5 and my second is still working on it (she just turned 5 in March).

We used this rhyme

Loop it
    Swoop it
    Tuck and Rull it

I didn't use the two bunny ears technique nor the rabit ducked into the hole. I found a web site that had some rhymes that I altered. Of course, I did not book mark them, but you could google it. Also, I have heard others using dad's shoes to learn on as well.

Good luck!

16. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mom23sweetgirlies @ Jun 5 2008, 01:33 AM) [snapback]811138[/snapback]
    I'm happy to see this thread, my girls have been trying but still haven't mastered it. They just aren't interested enough because they have too many slip on shoes to wear instead I guess. DH has been driving me nuts though telling me he cannot believe I haven't taught them how to yet, he is sure every other child their age knows how. :rolleyes:

umm, can't he teach them!? LOL!

Seems like I do most everything else, this is on DH's list this summer. . . he doesn't know it yet though :D