Shh.. Silent PT Celebration... Shhh...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MNTwinSquared, Mar 6, 2012.

1. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Ok, we are on Spring Break. ALL kids are on spring break from both school districts. I figured it would be a good time to work on potty training with Evan. So, on Thursday Evan wanted to wear "big boy pants." (Gerber Training Pants) So, like a typical first day of PT (I've done this SEVERAL times already from late last summer) he was good most of the day but then in the evening the flood gates opened. He had an accident and then immediately went a little on the potty and not 14 minutes later, had another accident in the living room. Not a good start. Now typically the second day is worse than the first. I am asking him if he has to go so often that he is starting to resent me asking some. Some times I make him go. He is successful every time that he goes 'for me.' On the third day I think he went through 3-4 changes of clothes/pants. I was ready to throw in the towel thinking that he just doesn't know when he really needs to go. Husband was watching him part of that day so I doubt dh was asking him at all unless the tv told him to. :rolleyes: But, I reminded myself that we have 10 days before he has to go back to school. He is on an IEP (Individual Education Plan) so even though his preschool is strictly no diapers in preschool, he is exempt. He will be turning four at the end of April and I have tried to PT him at least that many times since last summer. On one of these past days I asked him one morning (mornings are normally his best) if he had to go. He said "No." Not 5 minutes later he tells me he has to go as he is standing in a puddle. Or was this the time when he was actually at the toilet with very wet britches. I do not know. I digress...

Ok, so today is day number 6. I was worried last night because we were going to go sledding at a place a good 30 minutes away with no bathrooms. Upon asking someone I took her good advice and put him in a pull up instead of the cotton pants. When we got there, I pulled down his pants to see if he would go. Just a drop. So, I put his snowpants on him and crossed my fingers. He did not go sledding but the twins LOVED it. Evan did enjoy himself and I just kept my mind OFF of his probably wet pull-up. About 3 hours later we got home and I had him go potty. :drumroll: His pull up was DRY!!!! I do keep asking him if he has to go, but he always says no. Before movie I do make him go as well as before heading back outside. Suppertime he says (as he is running towards the bathroom) I'm going poop! He has been pretty much poop trained for the last month. Thank God for small favors! He was successful. He made it through to bedtime so today he had ZERO accidents. I'm beginning to have some hope!

Sorry this is so long and I am probably jinxing myself, but I had to share a silent celebration with you. I hope this is it. On the other foot, his 6.5 year old brother couldn't get to the bathroom in time today. I'm not terribly worried. We were having a good time outside at home. It reached over 50 degrees here today! Wow!

2 people like this.
  2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Silently going :woo: Evan!!!

1 person likes this.
  3. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

1 person likes this.
  4. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Yay!

1 person likes this.
  5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

:spy: yeah :spy:

1 person likes this.
  6. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Woo! We had our first pt success last night, too! Must be in the air. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. MNTwinSquared

Day 7 was totally successful!! WooHoo! (shhh!) He has never been one to drink a lot of liquids, but he is holding it and going when asked and not having accidents. I wish he'd tell me when he needed to go, but hopefully that comes later. One of these days I will try to give him more liquids so that he has to go at some point. I am happy though. He will surprise his preschool teachers come next Tuesday! :)

4 people like this.
  8. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:woo: Evan!

I don't want him to hear me! That's great! Make sure you post an update next week!

1 person likes this.
  9. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Fabulous!!! Spencer is actually telling me he needs to go, just the last couple of days. And he's only had a couple of accidents in about 4 days, even waking up dry most of the time. He's set to be my youngest PT'd child (except for Sage). I deserve it after Sydney and Sabrina!

1 person likes this.
  10. MNTwinSquared

Ok, I knew it was too good to be true.. sort of. I stopped asking him to go today.. had to figure out if he knew when he had to go or whatnot. He had an accident just a little bit ago. It'll work for preschool since he is offered the opportunity to go potty two times in those 4 hours gone. I just will keep telling him to go periodically and hopefully he 'gets it' soon. I had a feeling.

I am ready for the kids to get back to school. Tonight they are just at each other's throats. Another pro of seperating them in school!!!! I just wish they could be on different busses! Ha!

11. MNTwinSquared

Ok, he went back to preschool yesterday (Tues). The first person to get him is the speech pathologist and right away they are given the chance to use the bathroom. She was pleasantly surprised to see him in "underwear." (big boy pants - gerber) She forgot to mention it to the aide in his preschool class. When the aide saw it she ran to the speech pathologist and excitedly said "HE'S IN UNDERWEAR!!!" I had not told them because I figured they'd figure it out! :blush: No accidents, which was not surprising since he can hold it for at least 3 hours. No accidents yesterday or today. I have been reminding him to go though. The only time I do not have to remind him is when he has to go poop.

12. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Hooray!!! Congrats!

1 person likes this.
  13. MNTwinSquared

Two 3-hour car rides today. Middle of the 2nd one I hear the dreaded words: "I have to go poop." It took 20 minutes to get to the next place where we could stop to use a bathroom. He held it! Turns out it was just 'one' poop, but I'm happy.

Unfortunately it was not him who needed a change of clothes today. Towards the end of the event my 6 year old son had diarthea. He still fits into a 2T pair of shorts.

14. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Awesome, Jackie,!

1 person likes this.