She Won't Stop Scratching

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by fmcquinn, Aug 8, 2010.

1. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

I cut both girls' nails once a week and file them once or twice a week, but Dani keeps scratching her face in her sleep. She's got little scratches on her forehead, ears, nose, and near her eyes! How do I stop her?

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

The only way to stop her is either to swaddle her with her arms in, or to put mitts on her hands.

3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yep, we would keep the mitts on during the day and swaddle at night. They still managed to scratch themselves whenever they got the chance, but it did help.

4. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

Swaddling and mitts - the only way!

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah-definitely swaddling and mitts. I did like the pj's/onesies that had the little hand mits on the sleeves already-those were convenient. I found that the mittens didn't work well for us-as they usually fell off. But we would use some socks on their hands as well.

6. fmcquinn

Thanks everyone! I would swaddle...but my girls are six months old. They've been out of swaddles since four months, and there's no way Dani could pick up her pacifier if I put a mitt on her hand. Ugh. I guess I could try mitts on one hand. :unknw:

7. megkc03

Have you cut their nails and filed them down a little bit-on a more regular basis? Almost like daily instead once/twice a week? It's amazing how fast those little stinkers grow! I know my daughter is a royal pain to clip her nails!!! It's pure torture!

8. fmcquinn

I should probably switch to daily. I've nearly gone to filing everyday but not clipping. It is torturous to clip their nails!

The only blessing in all this is that the scratches don't seem to bother her. She never wakes up when she does it, but it just looks like a chicken attacked her face!

9. megkc03

Do you breastfeed? I remember when I was breastfeeding reading about how the b/m was good for scratches like that. And when I still had breastmilk, I remember Annabella scratching herself. I would put the milk on the scratch and it was amazing how fast it healed! Not sure if that's a possibility, but I thought I would toss that out there just in case!

10. fmcquinn

Thank you meg. I unfortunately am no longer BF'ing. As far as topical ointments, I've heard Aquaphor works well. Anyone used it?

11. Sarah75

Sarah75 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with one of mine, doesnt matter how short her nails are, she really digs them in, She has done it to me and boy does it hurt. I havent tried mittons because I think she will be able to pull them off (5months old). I put baby Aveeno calming cream on her, which seems to help some.
    Good luck !