she won't stop coughing

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by MichelleL, Oct 23, 2011.

1. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I'm close to tears right now. :cry: One of my girls has been sick since Weds. Started off as tight chest congestion, sore throat, raspy voice. The chest congestion started breaking up this weekend so now both of them are coughing and it feels like it's non-stop. I know this is all part of the healing process...but...I put them to bed 2 hours ago and Emma hasn't stopped coughing. I gave her Delsym, am running a humidifier, put Vick's on her chest, gave her a drink of ice cold water, propped her on an extra pillow.

It is truly breaking my heart because when I get sick, this is exactly what happens to me so I know how miserable she must be. :cry:

Is there anything else you can think of that I can try? I'm ready to take her out of her bed and have her try sleeping with me just so she doesn't have to be miserable alone. :pardon:

2. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

Michelle, if you have any honey, try giving her a teaspoon of that. That really helps my girls. Hope she's able to settle soon :(

3. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Hot tea or chocolate might help too. She may need more humidity than the humidifier if producing. Might take her in the bath room and run the shower hot

4. MichelleL

Oh! Honey. Yes, I do that for myself too but didn't think of it.

I didn't even think of the shower. :good:

She has stopped, thankfully. Ugh, hate it when they get like this. :( If she starts up again tonight, I'm definitely going to try these.

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I feel your pain michelle. We've been dealing with a nasty cough for over a week here. I have her propped with pillows and steamed her head out with a bath before bed. I haven't given any cough meds, but if she is coughing that much maybe you should call the on call pedi about what to do to help her tonight. :(

6. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Mine all are getting over a really nasty cough (one turned into pnuemonia). I gave them Delsym, but I also found Benadryl helped some b/c their throats were really itchy. We also did the honey as well. The coughs lasted quite a long time in our household. I hear there is a nasty illness with this going around. I hope your kiddos get over it really soon.

7. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I do honey with a few drop of lemon on a spoon and hold it over the flame on the stove. Then let it cool and drip it down the back of her throat. Poor baby!

8. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

What do they say to foot on the feet and then covered with socks? Vicks?

9. r-twins

r-twins Well-Known Member

This won't help you tonight, but maybe for the next time.

My 3 yr old was born 6 weeks early and when he gets a cold he ALWAYS gets a horrible, croupy cough. We started using essential oils a couple years ago and they help him (and us) so much. (The doc used to give him steroids for croup and they didn't do a thing, but 30 min - 1 hr after rubbing his chest with oil he calms right down.)

Here's what I order if you're interested. Drop me a note if you want to know how to use it.
    http://butterflyexpress.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BE&Product_Code=OB3&Category_Code=OB

Good luck tonight.

10. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Honey helps, but (and this sounds crazy) but put Vicks on the bottoms of her feet and put socks on. I SWEAR it works!! It sounds crazy but it helps! I was up ALL night with Liam a few weeks ago coughing, we've got allergy/sinus drainage going on here. I was tired and frustrated and completely forgot about the vicks. The next night, we put vicks on his feet as soon as he started coughing and within 10 mins he stopped and slept thru the night. We only had to put vicks on his feet one more time around 5am. We've been putting it on their feet every night since and the cough is almost gone :)

I hope she feels better soon!! :hug:

11. MichelleL

Thank you so much ladies, I'm going to add all of this to my list to try. I do remember now about hearing about the Vicks on the feet. I'm going to do that tonight.

I can't wait until we're sleeping through the night again. :lazy:

12. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Sorry they're sick Michelle .. there is nothing worse than that non-stop cough.I know when my boys get it .. I have the hardest time sleeping as well because I startled with each cough ! You got some good suggestions already .. I hope you can find some relief soon.
    I have found success with Benadryl because it dries up the post nasal drip which can irritate the throat and make them cough even more. Good luck !

13. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

when Abby was coughing last week I started using the Triaminic strips that melt in their mouths an hour before bedtime and then a tsp of benadryl at bedtime - as well as Vicks on the feet, extra pillows etc...

14. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How is she feeling this afternoon, Chelley? :hug:

I make mine a cup of warm water with enough lemon juice & honey in it to make it taste a lot like warm lemonade. It will often help with the coughing (works for me too!).

15. MichelleL

LOVE that you posted this!! On Saturday, the pedi had said I can get some cough and cold meds but I am so hesitant as we've never used anything except tylenol, motrin, and delsym. BUT...they were both so bad this afternoon (Lauren the worst one now), that I ended up searching the grocery store aisles. Both of them are in the worst moods today because of the coughing last night so I bought them the strips, the nighttime and daytime, and pray that they work!

I'm also going to do the vicks on the feet and have lemon/honey on standby. I steamed up the bathroom and had them shower already. I'm prepared tonight! I do not want to start my day at 3:47 a.m. again. :nea: :lazy:

16. Lougood

Lougood Well-Known Member

Warm honey and Benadryl. Along with the humidifier. :hug:

17. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We really like the powered mucinex cough and chest congestion medicine wise