She Wakes Up Every Night 1 Hour After Falling Asleep.

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by cheezewhiz24, Sep 15, 2012.

1. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Annabelle is a pretty laid back baby but I just don't get what's going on with her. She routinely and I mean just about every single night wakes up 45 min to an hour after she goes to sleep. She screams and whines for sometimes over an hour. We hold her, I try to nurse her, but she doesn't seem to want it. She has 2 teeth currently- I'm not sure if she's teething currently.

Help. What's going on with this kid?

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hmmm...how do I break this to you lightly?!?

It's the name.

No lie. No joke. If I were you, I'd run and have it changed. For real.

Annabella is now 3. A week has yet to go by where she is not waking in the middle of the night. 9 out of 10 times, we don't have to go up there. But out of the three of them-she STILL doesn't sleep through the night. Don't get me wrong, she's a lot better than she was. But ya, every so often I have to go up there. The boys-never. Ever. Not even now. Not her.

I'm telling ya. The name. Change it. ;)

In all seriousness-it could be the teeth. Do you give her anything before bed to help with the possible pain? If all else fails, I would give my kids tylenol/motrin. Good luck! Hopefully she is on her way to sttn!

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Emmett goes through phases where he does that. Usually he either has a huge burp (poor bud-bud) or is overtired for some reason. Other times, I have no idea why he does it. I know, so helpful eh?

Do you think that what you're considering putting down for the night, she's considering nap #3?

4. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

We have had periods like that and usually it's overtiredness which makes ours wake up again so soon after falling asleep (ie. difficulty staying asleep is a common sign of overtiredness). When this is the case, I move their bedtime up by 15-mins for a few days and most of the time this has worked.

But saying that, it has also happened because of a huge burp (as Rachel said) so keeping her upright for 10-15minutes after feed and before putting her down could help.

Teething has also played a part, so Tylenol before bed, as Meaghan suggested - and if it is/was teething originally and then it stopped then it's possible that it's become a habit - this happened to us a couple of times after colds - had to CIO one night and it was back to normal the next day.

Lastly, it could possibly be a sleep cycle issue, you could try to go in just before the 45-min mark, watch for any signs of movement just before she wakes and shushing and/or lightly patting her through to the next sleep cycle - this has worked for me many time with Liara's naps although not consistently, but night time issue you might have better luck.

GL! :)

5. cheezewhiz24

Thanks everybody.

Oh, except you, Meaghan! ;) Maybe we should start calling her by her middle name. Meet Rose, people. :lol:

I'm going to start up with some of these suggestions tonight. I did CIO at 4 months with S&O just to get them to fall asleep without an issue but I'm reluctant to start that with her as she seems to need less prompting to do stuff like lengthening sleep.

She's been doing this cry-stuff since we dropped the swaddle- so about 2 months? Prior to that she'd go to sleep happily, but she is so freaking big and strong that I can't find a swaddle for her she can't break out of. It's been going on so long I don't think it's continual teething, but I'll give the Tylenol a try for a few days.

I really like the suggestion of going in at 40ish minutes to pat her to the next sleep cycle. I agree, she *could* be overtired, but she's so happy/not fussy like the babies in another thread she can go happily almost all day without a nap.

It'd be hard to get her to bed much earlier than 7p as DH gets home at 6:15. It already makes me a little sad she gets 45 shared minutes with Daddy/day, but if it's better for her, sigh. I'll do it.

6. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

You say she's strong enough to break out of the swaddle: have you tried swaddling her with her arms free? That may provide some comfort without the tangle of blankets.

7. cheezewhiz24

Yeah, I did. I'd walk in and find her wound up in the blanket. It's also the problem of her kicking feet- they are strong.

I tried laying her down tonight much earlier and she did exactly the same thing. Sigh. I'll try again tomorrow.

8. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Urg. I think anything else I would have suggested has already been tried. *sigh* Sorry! :unknw:

9. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Stick with the early bedtime for a week before evaluating if it's working or not.

10. twinkler

When ours got too big for the swaddle, we got the sleeping bags that zip up, which I really like because it still cocoons them and there's no blankets to kick off. .. there so many different types and thickness, for the summer we used the Aden & Anais muslin style which I love... of course we are still on the winter ones here. I think they were a good transition from the swaddle as it still kept them contained.

11. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

this

i don't know if swaddling would help. if you think it might this is a really great swaddle option.. the woombie has zipper, still snug, and size options. DD loves hers and it has an arms out option we are using now.
    http://www.thewoombie.com/?gclid=COaU8suXv7ICFYSo4AodBUkA2w

so frustrating! GL!

12. cheezewhiz24

I'll give it a week of earlier bedtimes, I promise. ;)

I checked that site and it looks really cool... then I read if they can roll don't swaddle. Hello, square one!

Thank you all for your suggestions. :)

13. twinkler

I bought the woombie and my girls didn't like it, well I should say Liara didn't like it, it was too tight....

I'm glad you trying the early bedtimes, that's always worked for us. Have you tried going in just before she wakes yet?

14. cheezewhiz24

Not yet... I'll give it a whirl tonight. Yesterday I was cooking dinner. ;)

15. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

All three of my kids have done this. Bedtime didn't matter. We tried multiple bedtimes with him (from earlier to later--always waiting at least two weeks to see if things would shake out). It never did. 45 minutes after he fell asleep, he'd wake up. Then it would take up to an hour to get him back to sleep. He outgrew it around 7-8 months.

The twins both did it starting around 4 months and now they only do it about 50% of the time (alternating nights for the most part--LOL). They are much easier to settle than DS1 was and most times it seems like they have gas (burps or farts) that wake them up, but sometimes no obvious reason.

I'm thinking they'll just outgrow it eventually like DS1 did... it does make the evening very intolerable some days though when all I want is downtime.