Setting limits with toddlers

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by miss_bossy18, Apr 13, 2014.

1. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I remember reading, I think it was, the 1-2-3 discipline book and they had a similar philosophy.  Acknowledge the feeling and be in the moment. The more emotional the parent is, the child becomes even more emotional.  I have found when my two were this age, keeping a neutral and calm voice seemed to settle them more than anything.  
    Tantrums, as hard as it was, I ignored them.  As long as they were in safe place, I let them have them.  Because I came to find out the tantrums were just a grab for attention and if I swooped in there, it made the tantrum go longer and reinforced it as a coping mechanism.
    Once the child was calmed down, I would say I can help you better now that you are quieter and not screaming.
    I also found reminding both kids what was going to happen and rehearsing with them about the signals of when it's time go was also effective.  

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Nancy touched on some great points.  Making a big deal about the tantrum just meant it was going to happen again and the tantrum would be longer.  Warning times to transition periods Is vital!