Seriously getting upset about dumb ped's!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by excitedk, Feb 7, 2008.

1. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

I got a call from my friend that I am helping with bfing her 6 week old twins. She was wondering about bfing and alcohol. She had 2 margarita's last night around 8 Pm, called her ped's office and they didn't call back until morning. So to be safe she pumped and dumped when they woke at 11pm, then when the ped called in the morning he asked if she has bf or pumped since the 11pm pump&dump, she told him no.

Guess what this genious said??!!

"you needed to have pumped and dumped twice over night to get rid of the contaminated milk, so you should pump and dump until noon today"

WHAT???????????? That would be 16hrs of pumping and dumping!!!! It really made me wonder where this guy learned physiology and how many women he had wean due to his overall uneducation about bfing :huh: :angry:

FWIW- here is a great link on bfing and alcohol: http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Oh my word!!! Why doesn't she just call you instead? :umm:

3. excitedk

QUOTE(JicJac @ Feb 7 2008, 01:07 PM) [snapback]611160[/snapback]

LOL, I think she feels bad as she already calls alot, but now I think she will!!! She freaked out when she thought about pouring 16oz's of milk down ther drain, that made her call me, lol!

4. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

OMG! Even the LLL rep who taught my BF'ing class said it was OK to have a drink or two and nurse! I have had a glass of wine WHILE pumping IN FRONT of my sister-in-law who is a Pediatrician! My SIL will admit that they don't teach you ANYTHING about nursing in med school. She just finished her residency last year ... and has been praciticing for a year ... so even in the last few years now that BF'ing is back "in vogue" due to being shown to be best for baby ... they STILL didn't teach her anything about it in med school. Tell her to call you or a LC in the hospital where she delivered for ANY and ALL BF'ing ???'s

While I don't suggest that you have a PITCHER of margaritas then nurse ... one ... MAYBE 2 depending on the size ... it isn't going to hurt anything ... IMO!

5. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

WTF???!!! GAH, what is up with all these ignorant doctors?!

I think we should all get together and open up our own pediatric practice. Heaven knows there's more BFing wisdom in Jackie's toenail or Kristi's bellybutton lint than in most pedis out there! :wacko:

6. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

QUOTE(fuchsiagroan @ Feb 7 2008, 07:32 PM) [snapback]611719[/snapback]

I think we should all get together and open up our own pediatric practice. Heaven knows there's more BFing wisdom in Jackie's toenail or Kristi's bellybutton lint than in most pedis out there! :wacko:

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...and your ingrown leg hairs!

Gosh, I hope that ped is wrong. I'm getting pretty lax about drinking and nursing. I was forbidding myself from having any wine at all. Now, when I know the girls will sleep for 3-4 hours I have two glasses since I know they won't be nursing anytime soon. If I needed to wait 16 - we're in trouble!

7. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

QUOTE(JicJac @ Feb 7 2008, 12:07 PM) [snapback]611160[/snapback]

My thoughts too.

Maybe you should copy that and give it to her to bring to her next appt with him.

8. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

It's so frustrating that they aren't up to speed on breastfeeding!!! I wish all pedi practices had an LC on staff.

9. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

QUOTE(melissao @ Feb 7 2008, 11:16 PM) [snapback]612172[/snapback]
    It's so frustrating that they aren't up to speed on breastfeeding!!! I wish all pedi practices had an LC on staff.

I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Ped is VERY knowledgeable and great about it but only b/c she, herself, si BF'ing her 9 month old. I'm glad that we found her!

10. excitedk

QUOTE(fuchsiagroan @ Feb 7 2008, 05:32 PM) [snapback]611719[/snapback]

LOL!!! Even if they read one book on bfing they would have atelast basic knowledge. And I mean really, we are only talking about children's basic food for the first YEAR of life......seems like a sort of important topic!!!

11. andiemc

andiemc Well-Known Member

QUOTE(TraciF @ Feb 7 2008, 03:59 PM) [snapback]611317[/snapback]
    My SIL will admit that they don't teach you ANYTHING about nursing in med school. She just finished her residency last year ... and has been praciticing for a year ... so even in the last few years now that BF'ing is back "in vogue" due to being shown to be best for baby ... they STILL didn't teach her anything about it in med school. Tell her to call you or a LC in the hospital where she delivered for ANY and ALL BF'ing ???'s

I find this very very interesting! Our ped is a new doctor and she gave me some bad advice recently which was surprising since she is new but this explains it!!

12. bigeyes

bigeyes Well-Known Member

13. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

WHAT!!!!!! :angry: My Pedi TOLD me to drink 2 glasses of wine a night to see if that would help with colic/reflux (I know I have posted about this before) UGH... this seriously just p/oed me!!!

14. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

QUOTE(girls! @ Feb 7 2008, 07:58 PM) [snapback]612013[/snapback]
    :lol: :lol: :lol: ...and your ingrown leg hairs!

Gosh, I hope that ped is wrong. I'm getting pretty lax about drinking and nursing. I was forbidding myself from having any wine at all. Now, when I know the girls will sleep for 3-4 hours I have two glasses since I know they won't be nursing anytime soon. If I needed to wait 16 - we're in trouble!

LOL read my pp I think you are fine!!

15. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

i wouldn't say that he was completely out of it... he was just trying to be extra careful. besides a lot of "kellymoms " site has inacurate information... its not the bible of motherhood...

Well, here's what the Kellymom article says:

Guidelines

Current research says that occasional use of alcohol (1-2 drinks) is not harmful to the nursing baby. The American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Drugs classifies alcohol (ethanol) as a “Maternal Medication Usually Compatible With Breastfeeding.”

Many experts recommend against drinking more than 1-2 drinks per week.

It is recommended that nursing moms avoid breastfeeding during and for 2-3 hours after drinking (Hale 2002).

There is no need to pump & dump milk after drinking alcohol, other than for mom's comfort -- pumping & dumping does not speed the elimination of alcohol from the milk.

Alcohol does not increase milk production, and has been shown to inhibit let-down and decrease milk production (see below).

If you're away from your baby, try to pump as often as baby usually nurses (this is to maintain milk supply, not because of the alcohol). At the very least, pump or hand express whenever you feel uncomfortably full - this will help you to avoid plugged ducts and mastitis.

In general, if you are sober enough to drive, you are sober enough to breastfeed. Less than 2% of the alcohol consumed by the mother reaches her blood and milk. Alcohol peaks in mom's blood and milk approximately 1/2-1 hour after drinking (but there is considerable variation from person to person, depending upon how much food was eaten in the same time period, mom's body weight and percentage of body fat, etc.). Alcohol does not accumulate in breastmilk, but leaves the milk as it leaves the blood; so when your blood alcohol levels are back down, so are your milk alcohol levels.

Always keep in mind the baby's age when considering the effect of alcohol. A newborn has a very immature liver, so minute amounts of alcohol would be more of a burden. Up until around 3 months of age, infants detoxify alcohol at around half the rate of an adult. An older baby or toddler can metabolize the alcohol more quickly.

That's not terribly different from the info in the article you posted... And I've always found Kellymom info on BFing HIGHLY accurate, and very well supported/documented with studies. Curious what makes you say Kellymom is inaccurate...

16. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

My pediatrician's office lists Kellymom as a resource... I think in the instance where its being endorsed by a pediatricians makes it more acceptable in my eyes.

17. twinreverb

twinreverb Well-Known Member

My LC said limit 2 drinks and wait 2-4 hours to breast feed and do not pump and dump unless you are full and uncomfortable. As long as it is not in your blood steam it is not in the milk. 16 hours is just retarded, I knew that even before the class and I haven't breast feed yet.