Sequential Spelling

Discussion in 'General' started by Stacy A., Jan 28, 2011.

1. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

I think I heard about this curriculum here. If you've ever used it or their English program, could you please share your opinions? What did you like/dislike? Thanks!

2. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

I use Sequential Spelling with my oldest. She is a natural speller and all the other programs were busy work for her. Copying the same word over and over again to test on Friday was boring. Sequential Spelling works on building word families with a "test" each day. The students don't get to see the words before being given them. It works for my DD. I don't know how it would do for students that have never done another spelling program.

I am pretty sure Dielle uses it as well with one of her sons.

3. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I use it with both boys. We love it! It's like a game for them. Neither one is a natural speller, and Trey is dyslexic (he was a horrid speller and almost always forgot pretty much every vowel in a word). Both of their spelling has improved dramatically with it. I haven't used their English program though. Didn't even realize there was one, actually.

4. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Ok, I went and looked and don't actually see an English Program there. Do you mean reading? I used Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, which worked great for all of my kids except Trey. Well, I should say we're using it now with S&S, and it worked great for Sage and Adam. I still love it and am not sure why it didn't work with Trey other than I think he just wasn't ready. He didn't really start to read until about 8, and didn't read easily until the last year. He's still not super fast, but is reading some pretty high level things for school and doing great.

5. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

I was talking about the new Engaging Language book. Here is the description from the website: "for the daily writing, word games, readings for comprehension, dictation exercises, and work with abstract thought and figurative language." So, it is more than just reading. It is only $12.95 for a hard copy or $8.95 for an e-book.

I'm going to go ahead and start with Sequential spelling and maybe add the Engaging Language next year. I need to sit down and do the math and figure out if it would be work a 1-year membership for how much I would save and for their freebies.