Separating the twins

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Schoebdoo, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Schoebdoo

Schoebdoo Well-Known Member

DW and I just realized yesterday that since Alex came home (He was in the NICU for a bit while Allie was home) they have not been more than 50 feet apart.

Have you separated your pair? If so, how often?

2. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Sometimes one is home while the other is out at an appointment. Occasionally DH will take a walk with the "bad" baby while the "good" baby is sleeping to give me a break. They sleep separately now (but not really that far apart distance-wise, since we're in a 1-br condo!).

But usually they are together. They nurse together, play together, fuss together...

3. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

Addison had some health issues so she has check ups with her cardiologist. Other then the extra time in NICU, that's it for being seperated!

4. stacyw

stacyw Well-Known Member

My boys have never been apart. Even in the NICU they were in the same isolet and came home the same day. Now, they sleep separately, but their cribs are right across from one another so they can still see each other. They always tend to stay where they can see each other as well. If one goes into another area of the house, the other one always follows.

5. kajulie

kajulie Well-Known Member

I take one shopping with me and leave the other at home with Daddy, also I take one at a time to church with me and leave the other at home with Daddy. that's about it...

6. CROSSTWINS

CROSSTWINS Well-Known Member

Okay now that you have posted this and I think back... the only time they have been seperated is when one was in a vehicle with me and the other was in a vehicle with my mom and dad, and we were following each other, and we were only going a half a mile down a gravel road.

Missy

7. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

I love to "divide and conquer" - it gives me some QT with one baby (say, if I'm running an errand) and a taste of what it's like to be a regular mom instead of a twin mom (much easier!).

8. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

The furthest they've ever been apart is when one gets toted to the car before the other. Usually, they swing next to each other, sleep side-by-side and stay together 99% of the time. I'm sure that will change eventually, but I'm not ready to do it yet.

9. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

Not usually... I think there were two occasions were dh took one out with him. My twins have similar sllep schedules but one is up or down before the other so we get in our one-on-one time then. But otherwise no.

10. eanderson24

eanderson24 New Member

We keep ours together most of the time. But they do get separated on occasion. Just depends on what is going on.

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I've taken one or the other to a doctors appointment alone, but thats it. Aside from that, they are together all the time.

12. jschaad

jschaad Well-Known Member

Mine are together most of the time... If anything i might take one to town with me and leave one home. My mom has taken one and let me do some shopping with one. ONce i have them in daycare 3 days a week i will seperate them more as mom will want to get some one on one time with them. :) I look forward to her being able to do this because now after keeping them all week i would never ask her on the weekends... :) They do sleep in the same room but different cribs. ;) All in all they are together much more than apart...

13. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

Mine spend all their time together. Sometimes they will calm each other down if both are crying. Most of the time though, they wake each other up if one is ill or fussy. Sometimes when we go shopping, I will take one and DH will take one.

14. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

My DS has had a couple of surgeries, and the first one involved a 5-day hospital stay, which is the longest they've been apart. Otherwise, I've taken DS to doctor's appts myself, and left both girls home with DH.

Last week I took DD to get her ears pierced! I think that was her first trip alone with me, away from her brother and big sis. :)

But, the little ones are still in the same room, although they've always been in separate cribs.

15. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

mine sleep in different parts of the house at night so dd doesn't wake ds, but they are together all day.

16. luv_my_kidz

luv_my_kidz Well-Known Member

My girls are always together. They eat, sleep, play, and poop together! It works for us. They haven't been apart yet. They still sleep in the same crib even.

17. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Amy had surgery at 10 weeks, so there were some doctor's appointment related to that, and then the surgery itself when they were apart for a whole day.

But I'm not sure they had any idea whether they were together or apart until they were at least 4-5 months old. A friend of mine who has slightly older twins once said "I think each of them thinks he is a singleton." That made no sense to me until my twins were born, and I realized the same was true for us. Although they were almost always in the same room, they had almost no contact with each other until they were old enough to sit up. Sometimes we'd put them down on the blanket together, but for the most part they were in separate bouncy seats, swings, or whatever, and we weren't sure one twin even knew the other one existed.

Mine were also in daycare, so although they were in the same room all day long, they weren't alone together.

Still, they are great friends now. :)