Separate room transition for Boy/Girl?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Sullyirishtwins, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies,

I am curious when did you all move your boy/girl twin into a separate room? At how old? I feel like I want to move my b/g twins into their own room by next year 2008. They both are early riser (5:30 AM) but I noticed my daughter want to sleep more but they share bedroom but have their own crib. They are now 13 months old. What do you all say?

Thanks,
    Diana w/Rianna and Justin

2. twinsohmy

twinsohmy Well-Known Member

I look forward to these responses as well. We are planning to move in about 1.5 years so we will separate them at that point. if we had the extra bedroom now, I would soon. I have a total of 3 DDs and 1 DS and am itching to decorate for a boy for once. I think I will be a bit sad to do it though. However, they could then take a longer nap if needed and not be woken by the other.

3. crazybabies

crazybabies Well-Known Member

We did it at 2 years old.... cold turkey. We moved into a new house, put them in separate rooms as well as moved form cribs to twin beds....... all in one night.
    It went better than I could have ever imagined. It took Garrett several months to realize he had a choice in staying in bed LOL :)!!

4. Sullyirishtwins

QUOTE(crazybabies @ Oct 26 2007, 08:51 PM) [snapback]469021[/snapback]
    We did it at 2 years old.... cold turkey. We moved into a new house, put them in separate rooms as well as moved form cribs to twin beds....... all in one night.
    It went better than I could have ever imagined. It took Garrett several months to realize he had a choice in staying in bed LOL :)!!

Hi Ladies,

Thank you for replying back to me. Yeah, I am going to separate them after the holiday. Who knows they'll sleep longer when they go separate way. I certainly noticed Rianna want to sleep longer but my son is an early riser and can't get him to sleep longer. We usually put them down by 7:30 PM and even days we had them up until almost 9:00 PM they still get up at the same time. Ugh!

I am also anxious to get the theme going for them. Let's hope we get more respond and we can get an idea what others have been doing.

I do agree -- in my opinion they should be in their own room by 2 year old. Why not? :) I know that some Moms wait until they start asking about their gender?

Thank you for sharing your opinion!
    Diana w/Rianna and Justin (Sept. 30, 2006 - almost 13 mos old)

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We moved ours into separate rooms at 7 months. It's been great!

6. Kerry1976

Kerry1976 Well-Known Member

Mine have been separated from about 9 months old....DD has a very loud cry and often woke DS up and it was terrible trying to get them back to sleep. It's funny because I was thinking of putting them back together after Christmas!

7. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I'm working on it now (31 mos.) - getting the other room ready etc. When my DS skips a nap and my DD wakes, she's very upset and calling for her brother (crying). So I am thinking that there is a definite window for success on this. I might have missed the younger window and might need to wait till they are a little older, but my goal is also after the Holidays unless he continues to keep her awake. She definitely needs more sleep than he does!!

8. Sullyirishtwins

QUOTE(~* dfaut *~ @ Oct 27 2007, 08:46 AM) [snapback]469319[/snapback]
    I'm working on it now (31 mos.) - getting the other room ready etc. When my DS skips a nap and my DD wakes, she's very upset and calling for her brother (crying). So I am thinking that there is a definite window for success on this. I might have missed the younger window and might need to wait till they are a little older, but my goal is also after the Holidays unless he continues to keep her awake. She definitely needs more sleep than he does!!

The only down side is that they do LOVE talking to each other in the morning. They shake the rail, jump, and laugh in their crib. There are days I wonder if they are okay with waking each other up?

I am involved with an organizer of the twins play group in my home town. Everyone of those Mothers with Twins have separate after a 1-3 months old. They have fear that one wake up with other one. I don't believe they should be separate so early on.

The other down side -- Justin and Rianna may miss playing with each other in the morning and often like to sit with each other to watch Disney channel. But I figured at least I can spent quality time alone with each child and to bond together. It was hard to bond both babies when they were born because everything got to go "quicky" with diaper, BF, and etc. I think that what make up for that reason.

What does your husband says out of all of this? Does he let you make the decision? My husband does not want to separate them just yet. He was not helping me and often I would feel maybe I am making a mistake?

A quick idea of my story:
    Justin is an early riser and daily wake up Rianna. It does not seem to bother her. However, she goes down for her 2 hours nap at 10 AM. Then she take another short nap 1 hour nap at 3 to 4 PM. She does goes into her crib for nap time (I thought it was going to be a struggle). On the other hand, Justin only nap in his high chair (3 PM). I tried putting him in the crib during the day but he screams and wake up Rianna. Are they always like this? Having a boy only nap once a day? While our girls sleep well?

This is a very interesting topic -- than you for sharing your story!

9. bridget nanette

bridget nanette Well-Known Member

I'm ready to do it now as well. Mikayla keeps crawling into Michael's toddler bed and they have been sleeping together. I try to move her to her own bed at 11 PM. Sometimes they don't want to sleep at all and play play play! When I put Mikayla in the office in her co-sleeper, both babies sleep a lot better!

So I might be converting DH's office into Mikayla's room. We'll see what HE says about that!!

Bridget :)

10. Sullyirishtwins

QUOTE(bridget nanette @ Oct 27 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]469401[/snapback]
    I'm ready to do it now as well. Mikayla keeps crawling into Michael's toddler bed and they have been sleeping together. I try to move her to her own bed at 11 PM. Sometimes they don't want to sleep at all and play play play! When I put Mikayla in the office in her co-sleeper, both babies sleep a lot better!

So I might be converting DH's office into Mikayla's room. We'll see what HE says about that!!

Bridget :)

That was another concern for me once they go into a toddler bed. They'll be up play, play, and play when they should be sleeping. I have heard stories about it. I just want to see if other mothers are separating them at certain age. Any open suggestion as well too.

We are not planning on getting a toddler bed. We already have a twin bed for them. I will put the bed on the floor and make sure the room is child proof as well. They still move around a lot in their crib. Has anyone done this one before?

11. Lilpark

Lilpark Well-Known Member

we have a 3 bedroom house and one bedroom is currently being used as an office. I'm pregnant again so our game plan is to make the office the new babies room and then after the baby is about 1 switching one of twins in with it.......depending on the new babies sex of course. Someone will always have to share in this house but I don't want it to be my boy girl twins for too much longer. I figure when we switch them we will get them big beds.

12. Sullyirishtwins

QUOTE(Lilpark @ Oct 27 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]469459[/snapback]
    we have a 3 bedroom house and one bedroom is currently being used as an office. I'm pregnant again so our game plan is to make the office the new babies room and then after the baby is about 1 switching one of twins in with it.......depending on the new babies sex of course. Someone will always have to share in this house but I don't want it to be my boy girl twins for too much longer. I figure when we switch them we will get them big beds.

Congratulations on your 3rd pregnancy! I would like to get pregnant with our 3rd child too but it took us years to get pregnant with our twins. We had them through 2nd IVF. I think your plan will work out in the long run. Maybe one side of the room will have a bit of the privacy for first few months since your new born will be in your bedroom. I would be doing the same thing if we end up pregnant too. :)

13. Jaci

Jaci Well-Known Member

We planned on giving LuLu her own room at around 3, and moving Puck in with his brother (2 years older). But, Puck is a TERRIBLE sleeper (wakes every night crying/playing/etc), so last month we moved LuLu in with her older brother & Puck has his own room. We plan to keep it this way for at least a year....maybe more....hopefully Puck is sleeping through the night before then!

14. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

We just separated ours 3 weeks ago. They have always shared so I thought it would be a big deal to split them up. They used to chat with each other in the morning etc. Well I'm happy to say that they could care less. I think they really enjoy having their own rooms and now DD doesn't wake DS up when she wakes from nap early. I'm really happy that we separated them and wish that we could have done so sooner.

15. Sullyirishtwins

QUOTE(FirstTimeMom814 @ Oct 27 2007, 03:49 PM) [snapback]469717[/snapback]
    We just separated ours 3 weeks ago. They have always shared so I thought it would be a big deal to split them up. They used to chat with each other in the morning etc. Well I'm happy to say that they could care less. I think they really enjoy having their own rooms and now DD doesn't wake DS up when she wakes from nap early. I'm really happy that we separated them and wish that we could have done so sooner.

It look like I finally convinced my hubby to separate them after the holiday. I may wait until Spring so I can get the "guest room" paint for Justin. My father-in-law does come over often to our house to see his grandchildren. I came up with a solution is to use our twins bed that will become Justin's room. This way my father-in-law can sleep on one of the twins bed. In the meantime we would have to buy a trunkle bed for Rianna. This way if she has friends want to stay over night. She'll have a bed ready to pull underneath her bed.

Theme:
    Justin's Room (Superman/Batman) I love the Pottery Barn idea! I will get the collection of them!
    Rianna's Room (The Fairly) Purple, Yellow, Green, and Pink

I want to THANK YOU all for your responses!
    Diana w/Rianna and Justin

16. Stephanie M

Stephanie M Well-Known Member

We transitioned ours to their own rooms in August (13 months) because we moved. They didn't seem to have a problem. However, I miss them talking and playing when they wake. They do seem to sleep a little longer.

Good luck with the transition!

17. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

6 years old and still going strong in the same room.

18. Sullyirishtwins

QUOTE(Stephanie M @ Oct 27 2007, 09:20 PM) [snapback]470005[/snapback]
    We transitioned ours to their own rooms in August (13 months) because we moved. They didn't seem to have a problem. However, I miss them talking and playing when they wake. They do seem to sleep a little longer.

Good luck with the transition!

Of course, we'll miss them talking in the morning together. Once I move Justin into his own room, I just hope he'll get to sleep in a bit longer like you said as they are early riser. :)

19. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

We separated at 18 months because we had the space. I knew we would do it eventually so we just bit the bullet and did it at that time. They never looked back. They loved having their own rooms and still do. Here are a few of the benefits:

1) They follow their own sleep schedule, so when one wakes up early the other still gets more sleep.
    2) When one wakes up you get some great bonding time with just that one child.
    3) We read to them at night in their beds (DH takes one and I take the other) and we get some great one on one quiet time.
    4) All their toys are kept in their own room and so our house is not overflowing with toys in our family room. It also helps because they have a lot of their "own" toys and I think that is important (not EVERYTHING has to be shared, but they can have a few of their own special things).
    5) They go right to sleep and do not play together.
    6) When they both get in trouble, they both can go to their own rooms and be separated from each other!
    7) When one is bothering the other, they can have quiet time in their room, away from their sibling. They like having their own space.

I am sure if I pondered it some more, I could come up with dozens more reasons!!!

20. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Still in same room. We're getting ready to move, so they'll get their own rooms then.

Marissa

21. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Diana, I am in the process of clearing the 2nd guest room and getting it ready for paint etc. for my DS. He seems to need less sleep than she does. It's going to be a tough transition, but I think it'll be good in the long run. Ali gets upset when she wakes up and Martin is not in there, so I don't know what will happen. I am thinking a Holiday time transition! Unfortunately the 2nd bedroom is further from the potty - for when that time comes!

I'm threatening it, but not entirely convinced it's necesarry. Look at families who don't have the space to separate. The kids just adapt, right. Also, I read something about sibs sharing rooms and that it's actually good for their development.....There's 3 sides to every story, right?! B)

Good luck with your decision!

eta: I'm such a dork! I already responded, but at least this response is SOMEWHAT different from the last!! (I'm tired today!) :laughing:

22. Sullyirishtwins

QUOTE(twoin2005 @ Oct 28 2007, 04:47 PM) [snapback]470759[/snapback]
    We separated at 18 months because we had the space. I knew we would do it eventually so we just bit the bullet and did it at that time. They never looked back. They loved having their own rooms and still do. Here are a few of the benefits:

1) They follow their own sleep schedule, so when one wakes up early the other still gets more sleep.
    2) When one wakes up you get some great bonding time with just that one child.
    3) We read to them at night in their beds (DH takes one and I take the other) and we get some great one on one quiet time.
    4) All their toys are kept in their own room and so our house is not overflowing with toys in our family room. It also helps because they have a lot of their "own" toys and I think that is important (not EVERYTHING has to be shared, but they can have a few of their own special things).
    5) They go right to sleep and do not play together.
    6) When they both get in trouble, they both can go to their own rooms and be separated from each other!
    7) When one is bothering the other, they can have quiet time in their room, away from their sibling. They like having their own space.

I am sure if I pondered it some more, I could come up with dozens more reasons!!!

I like all of your reasons! Are you living on one story home? We have a 2-story home and we would have to child proof both of the rooms. They both share bathroom (same as Brady Bunch style). My twins will be 15 mos by Christmas 2007 and will start focusing on Justin's room. My father-in-law comes in town and he'll be sleeping in the same room as my son with 2 twins beds.

My question is ?? Do you have toddlers bed? If so, we are not planning to get one. I don't want to waste $$$$ unless you got all of the reasons to change my mind? LOL

Write back soon!

23. Sullyirishtwins

QUOTE(~* dfaut *~ @ Oct 28 2007, 05:31 PM) [snapback]470820[/snapback]
    Diana, I am in the process of clearing the 2nd guest room and getting it ready for paint etc. for my DS. He seems to need less sleep than she does. It's going to be a tough transition, but I think it'll be good in the long run. Ali gets upset when she wakes up and Martin is not in there, so I don't know what will happen. I am thinking a Holiday time transition! Unfortunately the 2nd bedroom is further from the potty - for when that time comes!

I'm threatening it, but not entirely convinced it's necesarry. Look at families who don't have the space to separate. The kids just adapt, right. Also, I read something about sibs sharing rooms and that it's actually good for their development.....There's 3 sides to every story, right?! B)

Good luck with your decision!

eta: I'm such a dork! I already responded, but at least this response is SOMEWHAT different from the last!! (I'm tired today!) :laughing:

We will start doing the "guest" bedroom after the holiday. I will use the playpen in Rianna's room in case if Justin can't sleep in his crib in his own room. Basically I will move the crib in the guest room with 1 twin bed for my father-in-law. When it is time to get rid of the crib we have another twin bed ready for the transition. I wonder if that would be the best way to go? Anything temporary if things don't go as smoothly :)

24. c0nfuzd_drumr07

c0nfuzd_drumr07 Active Member

My brother and I shared a room until we were 5 and our family moved into a new house with more rooms. It seemed to work okay for us, but I don't know how well it worked for our parents... I guess there are different reasons for parents caring about the room situation. lol.

25. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Sullyirishtwins @ Oct 28 2007, 02:44 PM) [snapback]470834[/snapback]
    Are you living on one story home? We have a 2-story home and we would have to child proof both of the rooms.

My question is ?? Do you have toddlers bed? If so, we are not planning to get one. I don't want to waste $$$$ unless you got all of the reasons to change my mind? LOL

We live in a one story home and both rooms are pretty baby-proofed. We have the dressers and bookshelves mounted to the walls, and outlet protectors. But that is it really. Our kids are actually pretty mild when it comes to getting into things, and so we have not had to go over the top with baby proofing. And like I said, we keep their toys in their rooms and so that keeps them out of trouble!

We switched to twin beds at 26 months. We did not want to invest in toddler beds and then turn around a year later and buy twin beds. They love their big kid beds and we also had a very smooth transition with those as well!

26. Sullyirishtwins

QUOTE(twoin2005 @ Oct 29 2007, 12:08 AM) [snapback]471327[/snapback]
    We live in a one story home and both rooms are pretty baby-proofed. We have the dressers and bookshelves mounted to the walls, and outlet protectors. But that is it really. Our kids are actually pretty mild when it comes to getting into things, and so we have not had to go over the top with baby proofing. And like I said, we keep their toys in their rooms and so that keeps them out of trouble!

We switched to twin beds at 26 months. We did not want to invest in toddler beds and then turn around a year later and buy twin beds. They love their big kid beds and we also had a very smooth transition with those as well!

For now we will separate the cribs into their own room. We have a feeling that Justin is going to climb out a lot sooner because he is a very tall baby. We noticed he was trying to climb onto his little play table lately.

Once they transition to a twin bed I'll be putting them on the floor of their room. If I feel they are ready we will put the bed against the wall. This means I'll need door knob, outlet protectors. We don't have any shelves in their room right now. And we probably going to need a gate for top and bottom of our stairs. We also have tv monitor that is very helpful especially we are a deaf parents to our hearing children. I want to get another one for the family room because our kitchen is in the other room. I need to make sure the kids are playing safely while I am cleaning or cooking.

It would have been nice to have a finished basement but their toys are all over the family room. I am looking to some low shelves from Pottery Barn for our family room. When it is no longer useful I will move that into Justin's room to match with his new furniture.

Any other ideas? :)